Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco 3925 Enhanced EtherSwitch Service Module

Hello all,

I have a Cisco 3925 router with a SM-ES3G-16-P Etherswitch module. In order for me to access it, I need to put an IP address on the phyiscal interface its attached to. Then I can access it via the service-module command.

My question is -- does it matter what address I give it? Does it need to be a legitimate management address on my network so that I can access it directly from another switch? Or do I always need to go through the router and issue the service-module command? If I do need to always go through the router, I should just be able to give it a 10.10.10.1 address and that should be enough, right?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Bobby Grewal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Super Bronze

Hi,Yes, you can give it any

Hi,

Yes, you can give it any IP address you want because you would need to login to the router first then to the switch. But If you give it an IP from your management subnet, it maybe easier to remember.

HTH

4 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

Hi,Yes, you can give it any

Hi,

Yes, you can give it any IP address you want because you would need to login to the router first then to the switch. But If you give it an IP from your management subnet, it maybe easier to remember.

HTH

Thanks Reza...one more

Thanks Reza...one more question. how does the switch module actually talk to the 3925 router? Through port 17 or 18? If so, do I need to configure those interfaces as routed ports within the same subnet? Or are they just trunks? All connections within the switching module would need to talk to outside devices.

VIP Super Bronze

Hi Bobby,You are correct in

Hi Bobby,

You are correct in using port 17 and 18 as uplinks to the switch.  Since the switch is layer-2 only, you just make the ports trunk ports.

HTH

could you post a graphic

could you post a graphic description about it??

something like topology graph

thks

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content