Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4500-X noise

Hello everyone,

I bought two cisco 4500-x 16 ports for my network infrastructure (planing to make VSS etc.) and I've got a BIG problem with those two switches, they're really really noisy ...

When they'll be configured i'll install them in two different places, one in our server room and the other in a office at another site.

The problem is that I can't install them in the office because of their noise ...

Is there any way to reduce the noise of this switch ?

thanks for your help !

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco switches with fans are not designed to be installed in quiet spaces.  The fans are there to extract hot air generated by the components inside.  They run at high speeds and crusts accumulate on the fans, they fans will get LOUDER.  

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If I remember correctly, the 4500-x 16 comes with 4 fans and they do get pretty loud. It makes less noise once it is booted all the way, but still is loud for an office environment.

HTH

I been running these switches for over 6 years now.  I've never heard one get quiter after boot.  I do NOT recommend them for "office space" areas.  

Thanks for your responses !

So there's no way to make them quieter ? I know that they need to be cooled, is there defferent fan for the 4500x that are quieter and more effective ?

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

These switches are designed to go in a Data Centre or a Server cabinet with adequate cooling and ventilation at the very least.

Installing them in an office is asking for trouble.

Thanks for your responses, we've changed our touhgt and we're going to put them in ou server room.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card