Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Cisco 4506 Trouble

This account was compromised and utilized by a rogue employee to post "inaccurate" data. Please ignore the request of this thread by Kraig Beahn of L2Networks Corp.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Cisco 4506 Trouble

Kraig

The problem is especially clear if there is not supposed to be an IP address on VLAN 1. Then there is no IP address assigned to the 4506 and with no IP address assigned it will not be able to have connectivity to any remote device and the only management access you will have to the 4506 will be through its console port.

If you want the 4506 to ping to anything it must have an IP address on an interface that it can use. And if you want to ping to anything outside of the local subnet then the 4506 must also have configured an ip default-gateway.

HTH

Rick

5 REPLIES

Re: Cisco 4506 Trouble

This account was compromised and utilized by a rogue employee to post "inaccurate" data. Please ignore the request of this thread by Kraig Beahn of L2Networks Corp.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Cisco 4506 Trouble

Kraig

The problem is especially clear if there is not supposed to be an IP address on VLAN 1. Then there is no IP address assigned to the 4506 and with no IP address assigned it will not be able to have connectivity to any remote device and the only management access you will have to the 4506 will be through its console port.

If you want the 4506 to ping to anything it must have an IP address on an interface that it can use. And if you want to ping to anything outside of the local subnet then the 4506 must also have configured an ip default-gateway.

HTH

Rick

Re: Cisco 4506 Trouble

Cisco Employee

Cisco 4506 Trouble

Kraig,

Rick meant by having an SVI interface for a specific vlan you want to use for 4506 management. It could be any vlan interface IP. This is only if you want to ping and manage the Cat4506 remotely.

Cheers,

-amit singh

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Cisco 4506 Trouble

Kraig

There are at least 2 approaches which you could use. The 4500 switches do have an interface which is reserved for management purposes. I believe that this line from the config points to that function

ip vrf mgmtVrf

and even though it does not show up in the config that you posted I believe that interface FastEthernet1 is allocated in the switch for this purpose. See the output of show ip interface brief that you posted

Switch#sho ip inter bri

Interface              IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol

FastEthernet1          192.168.1.254   YES manual down                  down   

So it should be possible to connect interface FastEthernet1 to something to provide management connectivity. (I will note that I tried this on a 4500 switch and found it a bit difficult to get it to work - complications of the implementation of the management vrf)

The other approach (which is what I would do if it were me) is the approach suggested by Amit which is to choose one of the VLANs on the switch, configure the VLAN interface on the switch for that VLAN, and configure an IP address on that VLAN interface. That would give you connectivity to devices within that subnet. As I mentioned earlier if you want connectivity outside of the local subnet you also need to configure ip default-gateway on the switch.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content