Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4507 - not able to route multiple ip ranges

lasernet1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ALL

I have a strange problem which i am pretty sure is quite easy to fix, because I think I am just over looking something or doing something completely dumb.

Heres the problem, I have this cisco 4507 switch that I need to configure multiple ip ranges on. The problem is that I can only configure two ip ranges on it, one ip range on the management vlan and the other ip range on vlan 2. After I have configured these 2 vlans with different ip ranges, I can route between then and get them to talk to each other, but that is all I can do. If I add another vlan with a different IP range I cannot see it from the switch or get any of the otehr ip ranges to see it.

Has anyone had this problem before. Maybe I am doing something dumb because this is a layer 4 device so it should be able to route the ip ranges. I have tried everything just cannot get it to work. I have assigned the IP range directly to the port number and directly to the vlans. Just wont work.

ANy suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Warren,

Make sure that ip routing is turned on. You can do a "show run | inc ip routing". If nothing comes back, enable it at the config prompt by typing "ip routing".

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi John

Routing is enabled. Still no luck.

Any other suggestions?

Did you make sure the vlans or interfaces you configured are up/up?

Ports or vlans which are down will not show up in the routing table.

regards,

Leo

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Please post configs .  It should be as simple as this.

conf t

vtp mode transparent

vlan 10

interface vlan 10

ip address 192.168.10.1

no shut   ----> you need at least a single device active in this vlan for the SVI to be admin up , otherwise routing to the subnet will not work .

Remember to add the vlan to the vlan database as well. Do a show vlan and make sure it exists. Create it by typing vlan if it doesn't. And you must have a port on that vlan, and that port must be up (with a device plugged in) or it will never respond.

Andy

Parvesh Paliwal
Level 3
Level 3

As Glan said earlier, I am also interested to see the config and possibly atleast "show vlans", "show ip int brief" and "show vtp status".

Waiting for the revert !!         

-

Parvesh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card