Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4948

nasiruddinm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

need help to upgrade ios in cisco 4948 switch, I do not have admin right and network access

22 Replies 22

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
need help to upgrade ios in cisco 4948 switch, I do not have admin right and network access

You have no network access to do an IOS upgrade?  Do you have PHYSCIAL access to the appliance?

You don't have admin rights?  Are you even ALLOWED to do an IOS upgrade?

Yes, I am allow to do upgrade and I have physical access to the switch, I can use SecureCRT to transfer the IOS, but there is no xmodem option on 4948

but there is no xmodem option on 4948

Whao!  Whao!  Whao!

Let's step back for a moment here.

XModem?  Can you please elaborate what you mean by this?

I mean if you have permission and you are allowed to upgrade the IOS then WHY don't you have admin access?  What's going on?

Usually I used SecurCRT to upgrade the other devices but not in 4948

Usually I used SecurCRT to upgrade the other devices but not in 4948

Do you know the RW community string?

No, but is there any way can I upgrade current IOS from cisco 4948 switch to another cisco 4948 switch!

You mean copy an IOS version from one 4948 to another 4948?  Sure. 

Yes, could you show me how to do it thanks!

Where the original IOS is from, enter the configuration command "tftp flash:filename.bin".

Where the IOS is going to, copy using the command "copy tftp:///filename.bin flash:filename.bin"

Hi leolaohoo<>,

Would you please explain it step by step how to do this configuration!

Thanks,

Would you please explain it step by step how to do this configuration!

Sorry, I'm getting lost here.  I've just posted how you can accomplish this.

Hi leolaohoo,<>

I already figured out thanks for your support it help to find answer in your email, in the future if I have any problem I will contact you, once again Thank you so much!

Hi leolaohoo<>,

After I download IOS image from 4948 to another 4948 it downloaded the image and showing image

boot system flash bootflash:cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.122-50.SG6.bin.

But when I looked up the dir bootflash: does not show any Image and after reload switch going back to again in ROMMON > prompt

Try:

rommon 1 > confreg 0x2102
rommon 2 > reset

If that does not work then I guess now you have to try and boot from the tftp server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco