cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6500 line card boot order

ciscostudent51
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone direct me to a document detailing the order that line cards are supposed to boot in a 6500? I'm noticing random boot sequences in some of my chassis, and was curious what the documented order would be. Thanks.

Note: We currently run Sup720 3CXL for the most part.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I am not comparing the service-modules with DFC or CFC. I am comparing the bootime between a DFC LC with non-DFC LC.several downloads(like scp Dnld) will happen from pfc in sup to dfc in LC hence more time for DFC LC.  Ofcourse Service modules takes its own time depends on the various criteria.(Booting FWSM takes different time when it compared to CSM or WisM or ACE Module). Coming back to your original question there isnt any boot order

Thanks,

Ricky Micky

*Rate useful posts

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Richard Michael
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The boot order is not fixed.It is possible to boot a chassis two times in a row and have two separate boot orders.

When it comes to the boottime the number and type of linecards both have an impact on boot time. Linecards with DFCs or CFCs will take longer to boot than those without as they have to download code to run the CFCs and DFCs.

Thanks,

Ricky Micky

*Rate useful posts

Thanks for the reply Ricky. Are you comparing line cards with DFC/CFC to service modules? For example, the following would normally hold true, per your post:

DFC - longest to boot

CFC - in between the two

Service Module - shortest to boot

Hello,

I am not comparing the service-modules with DFC or CFC. I am comparing the bootime between a DFC LC with non-DFC LC.several downloads(like scp Dnld) will happen from pfc in sup to dfc in LC hence more time for DFC LC.  Ofcourse Service modules takes its own time depends on the various criteria.(Booting FWSM takes different time when it compared to CSM or WisM or ACE Module). Coming back to your original question there isnt any boot order

Thanks,

Ricky Micky

*Rate useful posts

Thanks for the answer Ricky. Have a good one!

Adding just a quick note. This will also depend on bootup diagnostic level set. It can be minimal or complete. So with minimal set of tests module will come up quicker - with maximum longer. And the time will aggain depends on type of module.

Nik

HTH,
Niko

Thanks Nikolay - that makes sense. Appreciate the add on.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco