Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6500 redundant supervisor etherchannel

Sudhir Menon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Friends,

I have 2 Cisco 6500 series switch with VS-C6509E-S720-10G ,I have two redundant supervisors in the same chassis on the LAN with no add-on line cards

I need to know if I can use the redundant supervisor 10 Gb uplinks to form a layer-2 Port channel between the two 6500 switches as i do not want to use want to keep the port idle additionally I need more bandwidth between the two switches for my server farm

Thanks in advance ....

Sudhir 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Sudhir,

You can configure the etherchannel as you mentioned above.

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

View solution in original post

Correct both are possible as well as On mode on ports from Standby and Active SUPs.

Nik

HTH,
Niko

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

nkarpysh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sudhir,

Yes you can use those. The active SUP will maintain all control functions but redandant one ports are still operational.

Nik

HTH,
Niko

Hello Nik,

Thanks for replying,

So will the configuration be a normal layer-2 etherchannel configuration with LACP or PAGP or does it require some feature to be enabled

Sudhir

Hi Sudhir,

See the below link will help you.
There is a setup with explaination like VSS.

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/component/content/article/69-data-center/749-vss-configuration.html

Regards,
Naidu.

Hello Latchum,

Not sure if you really got my question ,here it is

I have 2 supervisors VS-C6509E-S720-10G in one chassis of Catalyst 6509 and I have two chassis ,I just want to utlise the port on the redundant supervisor for my data connection

So it is a normal layer-2 port channel between Chassis-1 Te5/4& Te6/4 and Chassis-2 Te5/4 and Te 6/4

Pls let me know if this is possible , I dont want to configure VSL link nor do i want to use it as VSS

Sudhir

Hi Sudhir,

You can configure the etherchannel as you mentioned above.

Regards,
Naidu.

Correct both are possible as well as On mode on ports from Standby and Active SUPs.

Nik

HTH,
Niko

Thank you Nik and Latchum to both of you for all your help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card