Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6509 giving An error : inline power denied

hemendra_pawar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have cisco 6509 switch with one sup720 engine. I have installed one 24 port fibre module,four 48 port normal Coper module & three 48 port POE modules.

My problem is: On all the three POE modules i have connected IP phones out of which phones on two modules are working fine.

But phones on 3rd card:some phones working and for some it is giving me an error of INLINE POWER DENIED.

Can somebody help me.

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you run "sh power" or "sh env power" and post results here.

Do you know how much each phone draws from the switch ?

Jon

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

Inline power is probably denied in this case because it is probably oversubscribed.

The Cisco Catalyst 6500 has a useful command to allow administrators to verify power use as part of the show platform hardware

capacity outputs, here is an example:-

6509-Access#show platform hardware capacity power

Power Resources

Power supply redundancy mode: administratively redundant

operationally non-redundant (single power supply)

System power: 1171W, 30W (3%) inline, 529W (45%) total allocated

Powered devices: 3 total, 2 Class3, 0 Class2, 0 Class1, 0 Class0, 1 Cisco

It indicates what the overall system power is, how much is used for inline, the number of powered class devices, and the acutal amount allocated.

The 6509 has scalability with support for 943 Class 2 or 423 Class 3 IEEE802.3af devices, depending on what PSU have been provisioned. Generally 15W for Class3 and 7W for Class2, so you may need to upgrade your PSUs.

Incidentally, If these are Cisco IP Phones make sure you have not disabled CDP, as this will enable the phone to negotiate with the switchport how much power it requires.

Hope this helps.

Allan.

Sounds like the installed power supplies are not big enough to handle what you want to do with with all the POe devices.

HI ,

Thanks Allan.

Thanks for your reply.i will check and get back if any more queries.

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

try to do a show module and show power inline module and see if they're OK. if not, try a software reset of your module by issuing hw-module module reset, and see if it will work. if software reset didn't work, try to do a manual reseat of your module. if all doesn't work have it for RMA.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card