cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6509 Supervisor failover - How long?

jonathanaxford
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

Just a quick question...

How long would you expect a failover from one Supervisor card to the Slave supervisor card to take?

We have a Cisco 6509 with the following:

5 2 Supervisor Engine 720 (Active) WS-SUP720-3B

6 2 Supervisor Engine 720 (Hot) WS-SUP720-3B

When the Active card was 'pulled' by an engineer, the switch rebooted and took a good 5 minutes or so to come back online.

I would have expected a much quicker failover myself...

Anything we need to check or are missing?

Many thanks

Jonathan

17 Replies 17

Hi,

By the looks of it, the 6509 is not configured for NSF. I will get this implemented before we run the test again to see if it has an effect.

Many thanks

Don't forget to make sure you look at the neighboring routers...

I would be tempted to plan the NSF config, but do a test first to try to see where delays are.

SSO should be sub second, but thene there are potential SPT issues, and then OSPF itself.

I always like to know *why* something did not work, instead of just seeing it go away IYSWIM...

P.

Definately, I will get to the bottom of this. I also like to ensure that i understand everything so it can't bite me again next time!

I will schedule in NSF config, and also plan for the next down time and failover of the cards so i can make some exact timings and see what is going on.

Thanks for all your help on this one.

Cheers

Jonathan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card