cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6509E iOS Not Auto-Booted. Goes to rommon every time

cisco_admin1
Level 3
Level 3

I am facing a problem with a Cisco 6509 that goes into Rommon every time i restart. If i give the command

rommon 1> boot

It will pick up the IOS on the sup-bootdisk: or bootdisk: and boots up but i dont understand why on reboot it wont pick up this IOS and boot itself and why do i have to write boot command everytime on rommon.

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you have a boot system variable set in your running config ?

What is your configuration register value ie. "sh ver" will tell you.

Jon

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post the output to the following commands:

1.  sh version;

2.  dir sup-bootdisk: and

3.  sh bootvar

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Qiming

Just a bit of feedback.

I'm not sure just posting the question fron Linkedin works very well. Both Leo and myself have asked for pretty much the same information that has already been covered in that post.

It might be better if a link was simply put to that post or the user on Linkedin redirected to post here and tell us what has already been covered.

Otherwise we just duplicate what has already been covered.

Jon

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Qiming

Thanks.

There was no criticism intended, just want it to work well.

Jon

TyarlaManikanta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Huang,

Value of confreg changed to 0x2100 in remote command switch sh bootvar so i changed it to 0X2102.After reboot its working fine.

Manikanta

Perfect this is the solution and many time Network engineer not aware about this command.I have seen many such cases.

Your routing processor bootvar shows config reg 0x2102 but in remote command switch sh bootvar shows different config register.your both config register must be set properly i.e MSFC and SUP Engine.

Hers are some troubleshooting guiide links:

Troubleshooting Hardware and Related Issues on the MSFC, MSFC2, and MSFC2a

Catalyst 6000/6500 System Crashes Troubleshooting

IOS Catalyst 6500/6000 Resets with Error "System returned to ROM by power-on (SP by abort)"

Regards,

Ashish

TCM-NI

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card