Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6513 Span session Limit

fhoban
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a need to capture some traffic but my core 6513's are already using the limit of 2 span sessions. I can't edit any of the sessions either because I want to source traffic from vlans and you can only do one or the other.

Is using a VACL with 'switchport capture' on the destination interface an option ?

E.g. I want to source traffic from vlan 10,20,30,40 and send the all to interface Gi10/10 ?? Anybody used something like this before and is there any caveats ? I dont need to be too granular with the ACL's but just capture all traffic in those vlans.

Appreciate the help!

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

fhoban@gmail.com wrote:

Hi All,

I have a need to capture some traffic but my core 6513's are already using the limit of 2 span sessions. I can't edit any of the sessions either because I want to source traffic from vlans and you can only do one or the other.

Is using a VACL with 'switchport capture' on the destination interface an option ?

E.g. I want to source traffic from vlan 10,20,30,40 and send the all to interface Gi10/10 ?? Anybody used something like this before and is there any caveats ? I dont need to be too granular with the ACL's but just capture all traffic in those vlans.

Appreciate the help!

Hello ,

2 full span sessions (Rx & Tx) are indeed the limit in 6500 series switch. Check out the below link for more information

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper0900aecd803e508c.html

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh

rate if it helps

Thanks Ganesh for the link. However I'm looking for a solution around this issue if possible.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card