Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 881w Router Config

Sherif Mikhail
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to configure the 881w router and I have never used the Cisco cp express before. I am wanting to configure the 881w to replace our SA520w. What is the best way to go about it?

Regards,

Tabaitha

12 Replies 12

Hi,

I have already whent o that site and it does not help. If i change the IP address for my router i get locked out and have to set back to factory. I am wondering is there an easy way to configure it.

Regards,

Tabaitha

"If i change the IP address for my router i get locked out and have to set back to factory."

After you change the address to something else, change your workstation to be on the same network as the new address that you've put on the router. You can then finish the configuration.

So, if you're changing the address on the router to "192.168.1.1", you can change your address on your workstation to something like "192.168.1.50" or something in the same network.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi John,

Thank you for the advice but this i knew. I am trying to configure the cisco 881w with the same configuration as our current one SA520 router.

Regards,

Tabaitha

Tabaitha

Once you change the IP you will be locked out unless -

a) you are on the same subnet as John says

or

b) the router has a route back to the subnet where your PC is.

We can't really help you if you don't provide enough information ie. you want the same configuration as your SA520 but we have no idea of how that is setup, whether you have multiple vlans/subnets in your network, what IP you are trying to give your router and what IP your PC is using etc..

Jon

Hi Jon,

A) Yes i am on the same subnet.

B) I am Trying to set it up with the following:

IP Address :    207.231.79.188

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.248

Gateway:         207.231.79.185

C) The PC is using on the 520w router public 207.231.79.186

Priviate IP is 192.168.2.249

Tabaitha

I'm not quite clear on what your question is then. What are you trying to accomplish? I can't help with the web interface on configuring, but if you're aware that you need to reconnect after changing the address, what problems are you having?

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

Agree with John

Here are more docs:

http://tekyhost.com/how-to-configure-cisco-881-series-router-with-cable-modem-and-static-ip/

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts.

Sherif Mikhail
Level 1
Level 1

Do you know how to get the configuration file from the SA520w router as a .txt file and not the .cfg? If i can get it as a .txt. i can upload it to the other router to get the same configurations.

Tabaitha

Tabaitha,

I'm not sure about that model, but I'd be surprised if the configuration carried over without a lot of modification. It would be best if you reconfigured the new router to be like the old, but not expect the old configuration to blindly carry over to the new appliance. I could be wrong, and maybe either Jon or Sandeep has more information.

John

John,

I know someone that works within cisco but is not on the technical side and said if i can get the SA520w configuration file as a .txt then i will be able to get what i need for the other router.

Tabaitha

Tabitha

Like John i would be surprised if that would work. However you should be able to open a .cfg file with notepad or wordpad and save as a .txt file or just rename the .cfg to a .txt file.

From one of your responses you say you are trying to add a public IP and your PC is on a private IP. Unless the interface you are changing is the one you are connecting to via your PC then you shouldn't get cut off.

Apologies for not being able to give specific answers, it's just that most of us use the CLI for this sort of thing so it's difficult to say exactly what is goign wrong.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card