Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ACS server

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

i have installed the cisco ACS server 4.1, the following are the commands issue, so that the switch is getting authenticated by the ACS

aaa new-model

aaa authentication login default group tacacs+ enable local

aaa authentication enable default group tacacs+ enable

tacacs-server host 10.203.1.92

tacacs-server key 123456

anything else use full command do i need to add additionally?

7 Replies 7

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

HI

I dnot see any configuration relating to autorization and accounting.U need to configure that also.

Thanks

Mahmood

i dunnu the command of adding authorization & accouting, so can you help me in this regard. currently i able to see the successfull login & failed login attempts.

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Anand,

You might not need AAA accounting and it depends alos on the kind of deployement you are doing. You need AAA authorization for sure, without AAA authorization command it will not work.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca7a9.html

What kind of deployment you are doing? Is it for wired users only? if you have wireless users and AP,you have to use Radius instead of TACACS+. TACACS+ doesnot support authentication for wireless users.

HTH,

-amit singh

Thanks for the reply amith,

my requirement is, i wanted all the switches to authenticated via ACS, also i wanted to know what user has issued what command, currently i could able to view the users login & logout time with the time duration, apart from that in the ACS i couldn't see anything in "TACACS+ Administrator" & "Logged-in Users", what i could see the information is "TACACS+ Accounting","Passed Authentications" & "Failed Attempts"

aaa new-model

aaa authentication login default group tacacs+ enable local

aaa authentication enable default group tacacs+ enable

aaa accounting exec default start-stop group tacacs+

tacacs-server host 10.203.1.92

tacacs-server key 123456

since i am new to this ACS, i don't much about the AAA commands.

Also which one is better to use, whether the TACACS or RADIUS?

Anand,

If you want to know what user has issued what command, use the following syntax with the TACACS+,

aaa accounting commands 15 default start-stop group tacacs+ <- this is for level 15 users i.e all the Enable mode commands will be listed.

aaa accounting commands 1 default start-stop group tacacs+ <- This is for all the commands for the priviledge level>

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Also wanted to know which one to use, whether the TACACS or RADIUS? as you said TACACS doesn't support wireless & RADIUS supports, is that the only difference when i am really configuring it for switches/routers? i hope RADIUS is using for dail-up client where as TACACS doesn't?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card