Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet 1240AG SSID and WEP

stuwren01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I work for a company that has about 15 of these AP's in a warehouse. Currently there is one SSID running with WEP (not great i know) and unfortunately, someone has managed to get hold of the WEP password and it has become common knowledge so people are connecting to it with other devices etc.  I have been tasked with setting up a new SSID and password on the device, without touching the current one. Once we have moved over our scanners to the new SSID and password, we can remove the old SSID and password setup.  On the test device I have, I can set a new SSID up but I am unable to have a different WEP key without it interferring with the current SSID. Without using VLAN's, is it possible to set two SSID's and a different WEP key for each? I have suggested using the wireless A and setting it up from there, which i did do successfully but the scanners do not work with it so it has to be wireless G only.

Thanks
Stuart

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stuart,

I see the problem now. Sorry for sending you on a goose chase...

The problem is that you are using wep with no vlans. The reason that Rafael's solution would work is because the password is set under the ssid, so applying the ssid to the radio separates the password per ssid. The wep solution doesn't allow you to create a password under the ssid, but instead it's configured under the radio. There's not a way that I can see to attach an ssid to a certain wep key. If you had a single ssid, you can rotate keys but this isn't what you're wanting. The only other sure way that you'd be able to get this to work is to create vlans and then separate the ssids per vlan.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Without using VLAN's, is it possible to set two SSID's and a different WEP key for each?

Yes.

Should I have put, if so, how..?

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

What is controlling the AP's, it is a WLC or are they Autonomous?

Thanks

Hi devils_advocate

They are autonomous.

Thanks

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Look the example:

!

! No configuration change since last restart

!

dot11 syslog

!

dot11 ssid SSID_ONE

authentication open

authentication key-management wpa

wpa-psk ascii 7 01010101010101010101010101010101

!

dot11 ssid SSID_TWO

authentication open

authentication key-management wpa

wpa-psk ascii 7 01010101010101010101010101010101

!

bridge irb

!

!

interface Dot11Radio0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

shutdown

!

encryption mode ciphers tkip

!

broadcast-key change 86400

!

!

ssid SSID_ONE

!

ssid SSID_TWO

!

antenna gain 128

speed  basic-1.0 2.0 5.5 11.0 6.0 9.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0

!

!

Regards.

Hi Rafael

Thanks for your response.  The answer you have provided has WPA encryption but I require an answer for WEP.  WEP seems to have 4 different boxes in the GUI but I dont seem to able to set 1 password for each.

Thanks

Stuart

I don't believe you have the option of doing this through the gui. You'll need to configure it via cli. A word of note though would be that you cannot mix different encryptions on the same vlan. If you ever decide to switch over to wpa/wpa2, you'll need to create a vlan in order to put a different encryption/ssid on the radio. In this case, you're using the same encryption on a different ssid so it should be allowed.

HTH,
John

Hi John

Do you have a working example as i know that the way WEP works is with transmit keys etc

Thanks
Stuart

Take a look at this post:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/326782

HTH,
John

Hi John

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, that post isnt particulary helpful as both the links provided in it no longer work.

Thanks

Stuart

Stuart,

I see the problem now. Sorry for sending you on a goose chase...

The problem is that you are using wep with no vlans. The reason that Rafael's solution would work is because the password is set under the ssid, so applying the ssid to the radio separates the password per ssid. The wep solution doesn't allow you to create a password under the ssid, but instead it's configured under the radio. There's not a way that I can see to attach an ssid to a certain wep key. If you had a single ssid, you can rotate keys but this isn't what you're wanting. The only other sure way that you'd be able to get this to work is to create vlans and then separate the ssids per vlan.

HTH,
John

Hi John

Thanks for the information. Back to the drawing board!

Cheers

Stuart

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card