cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco and Juniper routers to communicate

sendalot7
Level 1
Level 1

I just got myself a Juniper Security Gateway (JUNOS Router) on top of my existing Cisco network.

Has anyone done a inter-vendor routing?

I want to implement OSPF (since both vendors support it) to have them talk to each other.

If I want Juniper's outside interface plugged into a Cisco switch that connects to a Cisco IOS router, do I simply give a static ip on that interface Juniper connects to?

Also, I want as simple areas a possible. Shall Juniper's inside be area 1 and Cisco/Juniper outside area be 0 and Cisco's inside by area 2?

So we are looking at ISP <-> CiscoRouter <-> CiscoSwitch <-> Juniper Router, where <-> is an Ethernet cable.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, running OSPF between Cisco and Juniper is not an issue at all.  All you have to do it to assign an IP address to the interface where it is connected to the Cisco switch and add that interface to an OSPF Area.

Example;

set interface ge-0/0/0 unit 0 family inet address 10.10.10.1/24

set protocol ospf area 0 int ge-0/0/0

Configure the Cisco site and OSPF should come up

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, running OSPF between Cisco and Juniper is not an issue at all.  All you have to do it to assign an IP address to the interface where it is connected to the Cisco switch and add that interface to an OSPF Area.

Example;

set interface ge-0/0/0 unit 0 family inet address 10.10.10.1/24

set protocol ospf area 0 int ge-0/0/0

Configure the Cisco site and OSPF should come up

HTH

If I give that Juniper interfaec a static IP, would it just ignore the DHCP envionment of Cisco's? As long as they are in the same subnet? (the interfaces of the Cisco and Juniper)

Yes, Just assign a static IP address to the interface on the same subnet as the Cisco site and you will be fine.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card