Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco c3524 switch

tahir1234
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I am working towards CCNP and starting to build home lab. Just want to know that Cisco WS-C3524-XL-EN is a layer 3 switch and suitable for CCNP labs ? If not, also advise me what switch would be suitable for CCNP level.

Thanks.

Seasons' greetings.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No it is not , it's an ancient  L2 switch that was built in the mid 1990's  for the access layer  .  If you need a layer 3  switchg for a lab I would look for a 3550, though this is also end of life it should fit your need for L3 functionality  though it might not have the latest QOS, COS functionality of something like a 3560 switch with ipservices  which would cost more than most people would want to invest in for a lab.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I am afraid that the 3524XL switch is not suitable for current CCNP. As far as I know, it is only a Layer2 switch. The 3524XL support was discontinued in 2007 and it is completely unsupported by now.

The best switch for building a CCNP lab would be the Catalyst 3560 series - but I am afraid it is way too expensive. You can try to obtain a Catalyst 3550 series switch. It does not support some features (Private VLANs and IPv6 routing if I remember correctly - anybody please correct me here if I am wrong) but the most capabilities are there and it is still fine for CCNP preparations.

Best regards,

Peter

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No it is not , it's an ancient  L2 switch that was built in the mid 1990's  for the access layer  .  If you need a layer 3  switchg for a lab I would look for a 3550, though this is also end of life it should fit your need for L3 functionality  though it might not have the latest QOS, COS functionality of something like a 3560 switch with ipservices  which would cost more than most people would want to invest in for a lab.

Thanks guys for reply and all is extremely helpful.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card