Helpful
Replies

Cisco C3560 Switch using an SFP to connect via fibre to a Linksys SRW2048

peter
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco C3560 Switch using an SFP to connect via fibre to a Linksys SRW2048

Hi,

I have an issue that I am trying to resolve.  I am trying to connect a Cisco C3560 Switch using an SFP to connect via fibre to a Linksys SRW2048 with another SFP. Both are gig ports.

When I connect the two together no lights show up on either side. If I connect the linksys to another linksys with the same SFP and fibre, the link comes up stright away.

If I set the port on the cisco switch side to "speed nonegotiate" the link comes up on the cisco side, but nothing on the linksys side, no lights on the switch nothing.

I have gone through the linksys switch and everything looks ok, but I am doing something wrong.

What am I doing wriong?
Peter
4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What brand of SFP did you use for the Cisco?  If the SFP ain't Cisco, you "can't" work it.

NOTE:  Use Google and you MAY be able to circumvent this.

Don't forget to rate our posts.

Hi

Both the SFPs are cisco and I get a light at the cisco side but no the linksys side when "speed nonegotiate" is set on the cisco switch.

Happy to rate the post once resolved.

Thanks Peter

Hi

Both the SFPs are cisco and I get a light at the cisco side but no the linksys side when "speed nonegotiate" is set on the cisco switch.

Happy to rate the post once resolved.

Thanks Peter

Hi Peter,

For fiber connectivity between the devices, make sure you have the correct cable for the distances involved and the type of fiber ports that are used. The two options are singlemode fiber (SMF) or multimode fiber (MMF). Make sure the ports on the devices that are connected together are both SMF, or both are MMF ports.

For fiber connections, make sure the transmit lead of one port is connected to the receive lead of the other port. Connections for transmit-to-transmit and receive-to-receive do not work.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Hi,

The issue I have is that it works fine when connected to the lisnksy with the same SFPs and patch leades. It then works one way when I set the speed to "nonegotiate".

Why would it stop working when it goes from a cisco to a linksys but work from linksys to linksys?

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: