Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Cat2900 switch VLAN 1 config

gsalmon444
Level 1
Level 1

Can please some one help me

I have a Cisco CAT2900 switch and im having trouble pinging it, even though it is processing data and makes my home network live. My PC is connected to fa0/2 port annd port fa0/1 is plugged into my Linksys router acting as the gateway to the Internet.

Now all is fine on the network I can browse the web and router but I cant ping the switch.

I have a been onto the switch using a console cable in back of the switch and configured the IP as 192.168.0.3/24 on VLAN1 (Bare in mind that the Linksys router uses the private IP of 192.168.1.1..etc...) but im still unable to ping the switch.

Would I have to ensure VLAN 1 is still the default vlan, could it of been changed for example to vlan 2??? I have noticed when I do a show runing-config that every port has VLAN 200, what is this?? Why the 200.

What is the basic way to configure an IP for a switch so that I can ping it, im sure ive set it correct at the privelage prompt -

switch>#ip address 192.168.0.3 255.255.255.0

Just this cmd give the switch a IP so you can telnet into it and ping it or is there more I need to do, like assign it to a port etc..

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No every port should not be in vlan 200. Do a "write erase" on the switch then reload it , this will wipe everything out to defaults . In order to ping the switch it would have to have a address in the 192.168.1.X address space , all ports should be in vlan 1.

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

This is a paure layer 2 switch so will not do any routing. Now your pc is on vlan 200 as you said all your ports are configured for vlan 200 I believe you linksys router is also on vlan 200 on port 1.

So I will say to configure vlan interface on your 2900 switch for same vlan which is vlan 200 and assign same subnet ip address which is on your linksys router which is 192.168.1.x subnet and your machine.

Something like this

interface vlan 200

ip address 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0

no shut

I believe you will be able to ping and telnet to your switch.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Ok thanks for reply, both of you. I will first try the vlan200 setup as we are almost there on this 200 vlan. I will change the switch vlan ports to vlan200 and see if we can go from there.

If not I wwilol want to do a write-erase on the switch to set to defaults, can anyone pleae advise how to do this, in case I go down this route.

Regards

To completely clear the switch configuration, from "enable" mode run

write erase

you may also want to remove any VLAN counfiguration the command

delete vlan.dat

Then reboot the swith with the reload command.

ok thanks again for help, much appreciated ill let you now how i get on in the week.

Ok, so I ended up setting the switch back to its defaults using the write-erase cmd. It now works like I want it to. There must of been something stopping me from setting up how it is now!

Well thanks for help guys. For now anyway

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card