cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 2980G-A Power failure

marioderosa2008
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all. THis switch is totaly dead after power surge.

Any chance that the PSU can be replaced? I have done a brief search of the forums and cannot find any existing articles relating to this.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Its a cost thing. Some people use 6500 in their IDF as access switches. Unless you really need the features of the 6500 it will save money to use the 4500.

Even the basic model 4500 has layer 3 switching and your 2980 is only layer 2. If you don't plan on using all the layer 3 function no sense to pay for them.

The 6500 cost more mostly because it has the ablity to add boards that do things like IDS.VPN, or take WAN type interfaces.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No , switch is end of life and all support for that model ended in 2006 . Your only hope would be to look at parts resellers int he aftermarket and usually you have to buy the whole switch.

okay... 2 of these switches have been taken out by a power spike.

i will be looking for suitable replacements.

I need to obtain the same capacity as the 2 x 2980G-A's (80 ports each).

I have been looking at the 6503 chasies but cannot fully understand what kit needs to be bought in order to create a working switch.

I like the idea of redundant PSU's. How can I stop these PSU's from blowing up in the future?

I am very new to these larger switches!

Do you have any recommendations as to suitable replacements to both provide the same capacity plus room for expansion?

You may want to look at 4500 series switches if you want a single frame or look at stacking 3750 switches. You could also just use 2960' if you don't have so much traffic you are going to saturate your uplinks.

You must protract the power externally from the device. Normally you put a UPS in front. This protects against outage but also it will toast the UPS rather than your equipment if you get a power hit.

If you look at the case of a larger dual powered switch you really want to run 2 seperate UPS because the UPS itself can fail and sometimes take your power supplies with it. Your other option is to plug one power supply into the city and the other into a UPS. You are protected against power outage and if you get a spike it will kill the UPS and just one of your power supplies. You could then move the other power supply to the city while you get a new ups.

Hi all,

thanks for all your help... I can tell that the 6500's are distribution layer switches... so do you think that the 4500 is a more suitable replacement for the 2980G-A to provide access layer functions to desktops?

Its a cost thing. Some people use 6500 in their IDF as access switches. Unless you really need the features of the 6500 it will save money to use the 4500.

Even the basic model 4500 has layer 3 switching and your 2980 is only layer 2. If you don't plan on using all the layer 3 function no sense to pay for them.

The 6500 cost more mostly because it has the ablity to add boards that do things like IDS.VPN, or take WAN type interfaces.

thanks everyone for your advice.

its really helpful

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: