Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 2980G

Jangelides
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am currently studying for my CCNA and have acquired some cisco equipment to help me with this. One of the devices I have is a Cat 2980G 80 port but for some reason I am unable to connect to it via the console port.  All my other switches and routers connect fine except this device.  The power light shows as GREEN but the STATUS LED is solid AMBER. From what i have gathered from various sites is that the IOS is probably corrupt and unable to load.

If I am unable to access the switch via CONSOLE, how can this problem be rectified if at all.

Look forward to your help and advise.

Regards

John

5 Replies 5

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

also be aware that a 2980G is an old Catos box not IOS   just in case you did not know.  I don't remember there being any difference in the console cables on the catos boxes except the real old 5500 series .   Even if it was corrupt it should dump you into rommon mode.   If it's corrupt and you can get the console to work this page may be of help.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-4000-series-switches/17052-26.html#cat4k_gen

Hi Glen, thank you for your advice. I am aware that model uses CatOS as opposed to IOS. Unfortunately I am unable to access it via console cable to know for sure if it is in ROMMON mode or not.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

John,

Studying/Preparing for your CCNA with CatOS is a waste of time.  I do believe there will be NO CatOS-related commands or questions available during exams.

This is what Reza is trying to impart. 

So I may as well dispose of it then !?!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

So I may as well dispose of it then !?!

It makes a good coffee table.

During the cold winter months, it can also double up as a feet warmer. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card