Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 3750G-24PS-S Switch

Hi,

1.) Can we go with the above model for placing it in the distribution segment?

Scenario: We have 20 access switches and all those should connecst to a distribution segment.

We have 10 vlans with 11 subnets each with /24.

or

2.) We have 15 servers with mix of 100 mb & gig connection.

Can we place this switch as a server farm and connect to the distribution segment.

Is the mentioned switch is capable to play a role in distribution segemnt(1) or serverfarm(2).

According to the datasheet it provides basic L3 GTTD & provides basic RIP & static routing, upgradable to full dynamic IP routing.

What exactly is the above statement?

Need ur input...

Thanks & Regards,

M.Mohamed Raffiudeen...

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You want to use a PoE switch in the data centre to be a distribution switch?   What a waste of fine resource. 

Hi,

Suggest other model which fits my requirement which is cost effective...

Suggest other model which fits my requirement which is cost effective...

No way!

I ain't going to recommend a model based on your vague description.

Scenario: We have 20 access switches and all those should connecst to a distribution segment.

We have 10 vlans with 11 subnets each with /24.

1.  Are you going to do routing?

2.  What kind of media are you terminating the switches and servers?  Fibre?  Copper?

Hi Loe,

1.) Inter Vlan routing & static routing...

2.) 2 fiber connection & remaining copper...

vaib7av.shirkul
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

First WS-C3750G-24PS-S is PoE switch, You can use Non-PoE switch as a Server Farm Switch, For distribution you can use 4500 series chassis.

3750 Series support IP BASE and IP SERVICES images. The difference between IPB and IPService as follows:

The IP Services Image enables a richer set of enterprise-class features including:

• Dynamic Routing Protocols:

– Open Shortest Path First (OSPF)

– Enhanced IGRP (EIGRP)

– Border Gateway Protocol Version 4 (BGPv4)

• Policy-based Routing (PBR)

– Allows superior control by enabling flow redirection regardless of the routing protocol configured

• Protocol-Independent Multicast (PIM)

– For IP multicast routing within a network that enables the network to receive the multicast feed requested and for switches not participating in the multicast to be pruned-support for PIM sparse mode (PIM-SM), PIM dense mode (PIM-DM), and PIM sparse-dense mode

• Distance Vector Multicast Routing Protocol (DVMRP)

– Tunneling for interconnecting two multicast-enabled networks across non-multicast networks

• Private VLAN (PVLAN)

– Provides the ability to restrict communications between hosts at layer 2 through the use of primary and secondary VLANs.

For more details about 3750 you can refer below URL,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5023/prod_qas09186a00801b0971.html

hope this wl help you,

Q. Can I enable static IP routing using the IP Base Image?
A. Yes, RIP and static routing are supported on the IP Base Image. Dynamic IP routing protocols (OSPF, BGPv4, EIGRP) are available only on the IP Services Image.
The IP Services Image enables a richer set of enterprise-class features including:

• Dynamic Routing Protocols:

– Open Shortest Path First (OSPF)

– Enhanced IGRP (EIGRP)

– Border Gateway Protocol Version 4 (BGPv4)

• Policy-based Routing (PBR)

– Allows superior control by enabling flow redirection regardless of the routing protocol configured

• Protocol-Independent Multicast (PIM)

– For IP multicast routing within a network that enables the network to receive the multicast feed requested and for switches not participating in the multicast to be pruned-support for PIM sparse mode (PIM-SM), PIM dense mode (PIM-DM), and PIM sparse-dense mode

• Distance Vector Multicast Routing Protocol (DVMRP)

– Tunneling for interconnecting two multicast-enabled networks across non-multicast networks

• Private VLAN (PVLAN)

– Provides the ability to restrict communications between hosts at layer 2 through the use of primary and secondary VLANs.

Hi,

How about the model WS-C3750G-24TS-E1U which is IP service image and i beleive it is a non POE as info about poe is not mentioned in data sheet. Can we use this as a server farm.

Coming to the point of distribution segment. You have given me the right option, but management is concerned about IT budget. They have rejected our proposal. Can u suggest any other switch series/model...

Thanks...

How about the model WS-C3750G-24TS-E1U which is IP service image and i beleive it is a non POE as info about poe is not mentioned in data sheet. Can we use this as a server farm.

Coming to the point of distribution segment. You have given me the right option, but management is concerned about IT budget. They have rejected our proposal. Can u suggest any other switch series/model...

If budget is a concern, then consider Cisco Refurbished Equipment.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card