cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 3750G StackWise Cable Query

michaelfoxon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone, I hope you can shed some light on my question.

I have a job booked in on Friday to add a switch to an existing stack. I was wondering at what point I need to use a longer cable to complete the ring.

The existing stack consists of 2x Cisco Catalyst 3750G-24TS-24 switches that are the 1.5U models, and I will be adding a 3750G-12S-12 to the stack. So a total of 4U.

So I guess my question is, do you think the CAB-STACK-50CM= cable that comes with the unit will be long enough, or do you think I will need to order a CAB-STACK-1M=? It's been a while since I've done this and I seem to remember these cables being quite stiff and bulky. All the switches are in sequence with no gaps.

Kind regards

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If you're doing "classical" connections, i.e. 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4 and 4 to 1, and the 50CM won't reach between 1 and 4, you should be able to use the shorter cables as: 1 to 2 and 1 to 3, and 4 to 2 and 4 to 3.

PS:

BTW, don't forget the 12S-12 can use SDM templates incompatible with the 3750G.  I.e. Insure the 12S-12 has a compatible SDM template before you connect it to the stack.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jose Solano
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

If you only have 3 switches the CAB-STACK-50CM= should be long enough, now if you plan to add a 4th in the future you will need to have a 1M cable to close the ring.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5023/prod_white_paper09186a00801b096a.html

Hope this helps.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If you're doing "classical" connections, i.e. 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4 and 4 to 1, and the 50CM won't reach between 1 and 4, you should be able to use the shorter cables as: 1 to 2 and 1 to 3, and 4 to 2 and 4 to 3.

PS:

BTW, don't forget the 12S-12 can use SDM templates incompatible with the 3750G.  I.e. Insure the 12S-12 has a compatible SDM template before you connect it to the stack.

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I will be connecting the cables via the "classical" method, so I've ordered the longer cable. Also thanks for the tip on the SDM template, I did actually spot it in the configuration guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml

Hope this helps someone else

Mike

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card