cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Gigabit ports not working 2950

djelizondo
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the situation. I am trying to test the gigabit ports on a Cisco 2950 switch. 1000Base-SX.  I have the internet or dhcp server connected to port 24 on the first switch and my pc hooked up to the (any) port on the second switch. Both switchs are connected with a fiberoptic cable with MTRJ connectors on either side.

Now when I use gi0/2 on both switchs all works fine. I get a dhcp address from the router on the other end of the first switch. but when ever I include gi0/1 on either end of the fiber optic cable neither of the ports will initialize (neither of the leds above the ports light up). I have deleted all the config files before booting up the switchs so they should have a default blank configuration.

When looking at the Http web page for the switch I dont see any issues with the port.

What am I doing wrong? or what can I do to make sure these ports are working or can be configured?

I will not be able to post back any more information about the switch until next tuesday. Im off till then. But any help would be appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The non-copper Gig ports of the 2950 are prone to failures.  That's all I can say.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Please provide us your configs,

have you got your gi0/1 connected in parrallel to the connection between the goi0/2?   (in other words, is spanning tree blocking the gi0/1 ports?)

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Reboot the switch and post the output to the command "sh post".

djelizondo
Level 1
Level 1

I will reply back on tuesday with the output of sh post.

As for the configs I restore default configs by holding the button while plugging in the router. deleting config.text and private-config.text before i fully boot the router.

I am not sure what this means "have you got your gi0/1 connected in parrallel to the connection between  the goi0/2?   (in other words, is spanning tree blocking the gi0/1  ports?)"

The non-copper Gig ports of the 2950 are prone to failures.  That's all I can say.

output of sh post looks good. any other ideas?

Switch>en

Switch#

02:54:45: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Vlan1, changed state to administratively do

wn

02:54:46: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan1, changed state t

o downsh post

Passed

Switch#

Switch>en

Switch#

02:54:45: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Vlan1, changed state to administratively do

wn

02:54:46: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan1, changed state t

o downsh post

Passed

Switch#

djelizondo
Level 1
Level 1

it appears Leo Laohoo is correct. However I have been able to desolder the ports from another bad unit to make 1 good unit. The price of just buying one of the gig ports can cost more then buying a whole new unit.

Thanks for your help Leo Laohoo.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: