Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco high end routers

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi everybody

I have few questions about cisco " high end " routers.  First of all , what are some cisco high end routers?  What roles do these routers perform in our network?

thanks and and have a nice week.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Cisco ASR9000. High end aggregation router (service provider world) .

Slightly smaller than the GSR, but crazy fast.

View solution in original post

Ven Taylor
Level 4
Level 4

The ASR series routers are well-suited for Gig handoff.  We use them as RPR edge routers throughout our network.

For the smaller sites, we use 1001's.  For sites that require more throughput, we use the 1002 (not the 1002F) with the 5Gbps ESP.  If you require higher port density, they have a 5-port Gig Shared Port Adapter (SPA).

These two things make the box pretty beastly.

Stick with 15.1(3)S2 code.  The earlier versions of software would have occasional crashes and faulty logging of environmentals.

We had regular pages from them that said their inlet temp was 127 Celcius.  Apparently, the router thought the room was on fire.

Ven

Ven Taylor

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

CRS-1 and CRS-3 are high-end.  Used for routing lots and lots of traffic.  We use them for our backbone routers which can have lots of 10 gig or 40 gig ports, and even 100 gig ports.  (NB: This is for a Service Provider backbone.)

Also as part that part of the network, we also use the ASR 9000 and 7609.  The 7609s (with 7 x 6704 line cards with DFCs) is our low end model, which is being phased out as they no longer offer sufficient performance.

On our internal enterprise network, we consider the 7600s the high end.

7 Replies 7

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Cisco ASR9000. High end aggregation router (service provider world) .

Slightly smaller than the GSR, but crazy fast.

Ven Taylor
Level 4
Level 4

The ASR series routers are well-suited for Gig handoff.  We use them as RPR edge routers throughout our network.

For the smaller sites, we use 1001's.  For sites that require more throughput, we use the 1002 (not the 1002F) with the 5Gbps ESP.  If you require higher port density, they have a 5-port Gig Shared Port Adapter (SPA).

These two things make the box pretty beastly.

Stick with 15.1(3)S2 code.  The earlier versions of software would have occasional crashes and faulty logging of environmentals.

We had regular pages from them that said their inlet temp was 127 Celcius.  Apparently, the router thought the room was on fire.

Ven

Ven Taylor

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

CRS-1 and CRS-3 are high-end.  Used for routing lots and lots of traffic.  We use them for our backbone routers which can have lots of 10 gig or 40 gig ports, and even 100 gig ports.  (NB: This is for a Service Provider backbone.)

Also as part that part of the network, we also use the ASR 9000 and 7609.  The 7609s (with 7 x 6704 line cards with DFCs) is our low end model, which is being phased out as they no longer offer sufficient performance.

On our internal enterprise network, we consider the 7600s the high end.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd like to call the CRS family as the "carrier-grade router switches" because only large (to very large) carriers can afford the line cards.

GSR are also "high end" routers and switches.

ASR are not really "high end", however, if you want a chassis that can push 1 Gbps, then ASR is the way to go.

The 7200VXR is also another example of the "high end".

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

ASR are not really "high end", however, if you want a chassis that can push 1 Gbps, then ASR is the way to go.

I'm sure you're thinking the ASR 1000 series.  The ASR 9000 series is rather "high end".

Cisco notes:

Cisco Carrier Routing System

• Scales up to 322 Tbps

ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers

• Scales up to 96 Tbps per system with comprehensive system redundancy

7600 Series Router

• Provides high-performance capabilities with up to 720 Gbps in one chassis

PS:

The 6500 Series "Switch", which also routes, now offers up to 2Tbps per chassis

The ASR 1000 series offers up to 40 Gbps

The 7200 series offers up to 2 Mpps (about one to several Gbps).

I'm sure you're thinking the ASR 1000 series.

You're absolutely right Joseph.  Mea culpa.

The ASR 1K and the ASR 800 series is not, in my opinion, classified as a "high end" router.

Granted folks.  However, since I don't work for an ISP, I doubt I'll ever even see a carrier-grade box.

In my little world, the ASR 1002 is about as big as I'll see for a LONG time. 

Famous last words right?

I still remember thinking aggregating 56k x 4 on an AGS+ was big time.

Ven

Ven Taylor
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card