Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Nexus 7K ospf with 6500 VSS

CSCO10675262_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to check on the possible design setup for dynamic routing via ospf for the nexus switch. My setup is as below:

N7K -----------vpc --------- N7K

|                                |

|(L3 ospf)                    | (L3 ospf)

6500-----------vss---------6500

Besides having dedicated layer 3 interface/link aggregated (parallel routed ports) ospf between each nexus switch and each 6500 switch; I would like to check if it may be possible to create/have ospf between the N7K via the vpc/virtual peer link(without dedicated link between the N7K)? This is for redundancy in case one of the N7K uplink to the 6500 disconnects/removed such that the other nexus switch may route traffic successfully.

Any suggesstion is appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

A separate link is preffered, but you don't have to have a separate link for the layer-3 connection between the 7ks.  You can use an SVI and use the existing peer link to route between them using OSPF.

HTH

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

A separate link is preffered, but you don't have to have a separate link for the layer-3 connection between the 7ks.  You can use an SVI and use the existing peer link to route between them using OSPF.

HTH

Hi Reza,

Thanks.

Hi Reza,

1. do you have document mentioned if i add extra link better than using vPC peer-link.

2. i read if enable OSPF over VPC   peer-link and  configure peer-gateway, the OSPF will fail ? please correct me

Thanks

Golden Rule in VPC  :  any traffic pass via VPC Peer-Link and send it out to VPC port , this traffic will be dropped.

so if you running OSPF between NKs and 6500  , there is possibility for traffic to pass via Peer link and send it out to VPC ports which cause dropping the traffic.

from your diagram:  Switch 6500 connect to NKs as normal ports  so these ports called Orphan ports and so the traffic coming form Orphan ports can pass the vpc peer link.

Hi, I believe you may refer to http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf on the vpc best practice design guide on page 84 which talks on backup routed path. There are afew options with preferred for dedicated and least preferred using VPC link using ospf. Hope it helps.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco