Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco POE overload

Sean Wright
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We are looking to implement a VoIP telephone system.

I know the phones we are going to have use 5 watts each yet when I look at the switch port they are plugged into, it says it is giving out 15 watts. I think this has something to do with the class of device.

My question is, if I plug 48 VoIP phones into the switch, will it overload itself because it thinks the phones are using 15 watts each but they are really using 5 watts.

Jamie

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

UWIC2 wrote:

Hi all,

We are looking to implement a VoIP telephone system.

I know the phones we are going to have use 5 watts each yet when I look at the switch port they are plugged into, it says it is giving out 15 watts. I think this has something to do with the class of device.

My question is, if I plug 48 VoIP phones into the switch, will it overload itself because it thinks the phones are using 15 watts each but they are really using 5 watts.

Jamie

Jamie

You don't say which switch you are referring to. However if the switch does not have enough power then it won't actually overload itself, it's just that some ports will not get an power delivered to them. You can specify the power to each port on some switches such as the 3560 so if you know it only needs 5 watts you could specify this, see this link for details -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_46_se/command/reference/cli1.html#wp10290687

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card