Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Switch and Router connection

soorajn2011
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have a router cisco 2921 and a switch 2924. Both are configured. My issue is when we use a network monitoring tool discovery, it doesn't show the switch. I am attaching both router and switch sh run output. Please let me know in case of any issues

Any help would be appreciable

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

Which NMS are you using? Does it use SNMP? Have you tried SNMP walking the device manually? Can you ping the router from the switch? Can you ping the NMS from the switch?

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Please rate helpful posts.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

Which NMS are you using? Does it use SNMP? Have you tried SNMP walking the device manually? Can you ping the router from the switch? Can you ping the NMS from the switch?

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Thanks

But I have one more issue. All the linux machine under this router is not getting internet. Please help me on this

Hi,

ip dhcp pool LAN

network 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

You don't send the default-gateway to your clients, so add this under dhcp pool: default-router 192.168.1.1

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

I am giving the command default-router 192.168.1.1. But againt i didnt get internet in linux machine. But before giving this command als, i am getting internet to all my windows machine. I gave a static IP to the linux machine 192.168.1.149. Also I cant ping the default gateway 192.168.1.1 from any of the linux machine.

Pleasde help

Thanks in advance

Sooraj N

That's strange. You didn't have default-router and also no name server handed out on your DHCP pool.

Can you do a ipconfig /all on a Windows machine.

Did the Linux client not receive DHCP? Did you set a default gateway on it? You should still be able to ping 192.168.1.1 though.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Hi,

if your clients( windows and linux) are in same vlan they should get the dhcp parameters and so communicate with outside world as they have a default-gateway and the router is doing nat overload.

So first can you ping 8.8.8.8 from your router ?

if so do your clients receive correct settings from the dhcp server(router) ? --->

ipconfig/all on windows and ifconfig on linux

can you ping your default gateway from clients and if not do you have arp entry for the default-gateway in arp cache

---> arp command

once you can ping default-gateway we'll investigate why you can't go to internet from clients

Regards

Alain

One thing I forgot to mention is all the machines both windows and linux are in static IP. Also I can ping 8.8.8.8 from my router. Some times i can't find the issues. its working fine sometimes

Hi,

You mean sometimes you can ping 8.8.8.8 from client and sometimes not ?

Can you post sh ip nat translation | i x.x.x.x  where x.x.x.x is the client IP when not working

Regards

alain

No result for that command

Hi,

you mean you do your ping to 8.8.8.8 from client and this command outputs nothing ?

Then you have a problem with your nat config

post client config, result of ping and  the sh ip nat translation command you did along with output.

Regards

Alain

Hello all,

I have the internet issue with linux machine only. all the other windows machine getting internet. Also I cant ping the default gateway 192.168.1.1 from my linux machine and also no able to ping linux machine from router. Some times i can ping.

Please help me out this

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card