cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO Switch Hardware Help Needed

kirbyw001
Level 1
Level 1

I am extending an existing network to another space and want to use a Cisco 3560-8PC switch, this will give me plenty of future expansion. However, I will need PoE and I would like for the switch to be layer 2 capable, but I cannot find anything in the literature that positively says one way or other. The next switch up is the 3560-24 and it is way overkill. Do I need to buy specific variants or mods for the 3560-8PC to ensure it is PoE and layer 2 capable?

Also I want to interconnect the 3560-8PC with a 3750G using the SFP port. I searched for the 1000Base-SX SFP media converter and came up with more options than my brain can decypher. Is there a prefered and are there compatability issues between SFP manufacturers and the Cisco switches?

7 Replies 7

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No that should work fine for what you want . From the product page. Yes cisco switches can be finicky (probably on purpose :-) about which sfp gbics you use, just bite the bullet and buy cisco sfp's .

Cisco Catalyst 3560-8PC

8 Ethernet 10/100 ports with PoE and 1 dual purpose 10/100/1000 and small form-factor pluggable (SFP) port; compact form-factor with no fan

Sorry in my first post I meant to ask if the 3560-8PC was capable of layer 3 routing.

Catalyst 3560's are capable of layer 3 routing.

NOTE: Dynamic routing protocol support depends on IOS feature version.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is there a prefered and are there compatability issues between SFP manufacturers and the Cisco switches?

You can't use third-party SFP modules. When the appliance identifies that you have a third-party SFP inserted, it will go into error-disable and will stay that way until you remove the SFP.

Why do you need a media converter for? If your patch room has fiber optics available, why not use it and connect straight to the switches themselves?

"You can't use third-party SFP modules. When the appliance identifies that you have a third-party SFP inserted, it will go into error-disable and will stay that way until you remove the SFP. "

I understand some Cisco devices support a hidden command to allow 3rd party, but recall Cisco was thinking of no longer providing the capability.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The next switch up is the 3560-24 and it is way overkill.

The next switch up is the Cisco Catalyst 3560-12PC (12 Ethernet 10/100 ports with PoE and 1 dual-purpose 10/100/1000 and SFP port; compact form factor with NO fan).

Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series Switches Data Sheet

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5528/product_data_sheet09186a00801f3d7d.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: