cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco switch qos

joshorenberg
Level 1
Level 1

Hello I live in a condo building that uses 3 Cisco Catalyst 3550 switches connected to a Comcast router with 100 Mbps download.  Currently we regulate bandwidth by providing each user with 3 Mbps download.  Even if only two people are active they still only get 3 Mbps download.  I would like to set it up so if two people are using they each get 50 Mbps; a sort of 'dynamic qos.'  Is this possible with these switches?  Would we have to purchase a Cisco router in order to provide this feature?

9 Replies 9

goatnetworking
Level 1
Level 1

Years ago I did rate limiting testing on 3550's. I found that it was not accurate, it wasn't even close to accurate. I suggest finding another solution.

Possible ideas

1. Higher end switch's/routers with more advanced QOS features.

2. A Palo Alto firewall may be able to do this also.

3. Find a hospitality appliance that can do this, devices they have a hotels etc..

Good luck with this one, not sure what the solution is, but I'm not feeling good about doing this with 3550's.

Scape

Thanks for the info Scape.  What do you think would be the cheapest method to set up a configuration like this?  Can you point me in the right direction where I would get swtiches/routers or hospitality devices?  I was thinkin about calling Cisco to see what they offer.  I just don't know where to start other than calling Cisco.  Thanks again.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

For just 3 users, you could probably accomplish what you want using 3 of the 4 queues and SRR supported on the 3560/3750 series.  Without research, don't recall what QoS features a 3550 supports so unknown whether it can do something similar.

Almost any Cisco ISR could easily do this, problem with the small routers is performance, even for just 100 Mbps.

PS:

Just did a quick search, and things are looking better for a 3550.  The 3550 support WRR across 3 or 4 queues, see: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk813/technologies_tech_note09186a00801558cb.shtml#topic4

Josh

I have not worked on those hospitality solutions in a while. I do recall that they were not very expensive, otherwise Hotels/Restaurants wouldn't buy them. I have asked a few people about solutions that are still in that business. I'll let you know when I get some feedback from them.

Scape

Sweet!  Thanks so much!

-Josh

Josh

I was given the following Hospitality products.

Blue Socket

IPGateway - No longer in business.

I'm sorry I couldn't give you more options. If I receive more info from some friends I'll pass it on.

Scape

What advantages would a router have over a bluesocket?  Is Cisco the best place to look for a router with nice QoS?  Any other places to look?  Should I just give Cisco a call?  Thanks for the help.  I think this is almost wrapped up

Josh, you ask some great questions that I cannot give you solid answers to.

I think you should do the following

1. You should call your Cisco Rep to see if they have a product that can fit your needs and budget.

2. Contact Bluesocket and talk to them

3. Find more hospitality vendors and talk to them, I wish I  could give you more companies to talk to.

4. I would look at other networking vendors as well (Brocade, HP, etc..). I try to select products based on fitting the need and fitting the budget, then getting the product that fits the best.

Scape

All righty thanks for all the help!  I think I have enough information now to pursue my goals.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card