Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco switch & router processes and their purpose / meaning

cameron.moody
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am trying to troubleshoot some high CPU on some of our kit.

As part of this I am trying to locate some sort of reference guide that explains what each of the processes are and their function / purpose.

Yes I know this would generally be answered on a case by case sort of basis with a TAC case but I prefer to have a deep understanding myself as well.

Has anybody come across such a document? I am really after this for any cisco kit such as routers, switches, asa.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's been several years since I've been to a Networkers conference, but there used to be a Cisco presenter who perennially delivered a presentation that dove into just what you are asking. I remember him going into process switching, fast switching, CEF, line card differences, hardware vs software-based processes, etc.

If you have any colleagues with access to previous years' Networkers presentations, you might scour that source. Sorry this answer doesn't help a lot right this moment, but do consider Networkers (aka Cisco Live!) in the coming year. It is really an invaluable source of inside Cisco training "not available in stores".

vvasisth
Level 1
Level 1

i am not sure what device you are using but here is a good doc for 4500 high cpu troubleshooting :-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a00804cef15.shtml

HTH.

Regards,

Varun

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card