cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco switches and AVB

toolman617
Level 1
Level 1

Do any of the current switches from Cisco support AVB networks?  What about any upcoming models?  Cisco is a member in the AVnu alliance, so I was hoping they'd have more info on it, but I can't find anything on their website.

6 Replies 6

toolman617
Level 1
Level 1

Is there really no information out there?  If you Google "AVB network switch Cisco", this is the first page that comes up.

Does anyone from Cisco read these forums?  If so, do you have any information whatsoever on this topic?  Anything would be more helpful than nothing.

Is there really no information out there?  If you Google "AVB network switch Cisco", this is the first page that comes up.

Sorry.  I don't memorize abreviations for a hobby.

So what is AVB?

ebarticel
Level 4
Level 4

Search on Cisco for AVBO instead and you will find lots of info. I think is the same thing you are asking (audio/video)

Hope this helps

Eugen

AVB is a set of new transport protocols for audio and video over a TCP/IP network, and stands for Audio Video Bridging.  It's expected to replace older networks such as CobraNet and Dante.

AVB encompasses a few new standards which require network switch support, so any switch off the shelf won't work with AVB.  To date, I have only found one AVB compatible switch on the market.  New IEEE standards are 802.1AS (timing and sync), 802.1Qat (stream reservation), 802.1Qav (forwarding a queuing for time-sensitive streams), and 802.1BA (AVB systems).

All that said, Cisco is one of the founding members behind AVB, which is why I'm so surprised that there's no information on it on their website.  I was really hoping that they'd have some sort of information on when an AVB enabled switch would be out or when they'd be updating firmware in their switches to be AVB compatible, but looks like I'm out of luck there.  Looks like no one else has much input either

Never heard of this before.

Here's the deal, DO NOT contact your Cisco authorized reseller.  Chances of them knowing what this is all about is as close as winning the Kentucky Derby 4 times in a row.

If you have a Cisco office near your geographical location, send them an email.  You might get more response than this.

If you don't, post back.  We'll dig for someone who posts here in the Forum.

Johannan Joshua Bayani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Catalyst 4500E is expected to be hardware-capable of supporting AVB by late calendar year 2013.

Other switches, e.g. Catalyst 3k, other 4k series and 6500, only mentioned AVVID support, nothing about AVB.

Cisco AVVID

http://www.cisco.com/global/AP/iptelephony/avvid.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card