Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco System Catalyst 2950

I am a current student at my local Community College taking Computer Networking and I was given an old Cisco Systems Catalyst 2950 switch so I can become more familiar with creating VLANS and other functions and commands for Cisco switchs. The problem that I am have is that I am not able to console into the switch so I can configure the switch and working on commands. The OS that I have on my laptop is Win 8 and I am using putty to try and connect to the switch. I have done some research into this problem, but I was not able to figure out what I am doing wrong. I don't know if the problem is with the OS, console, or putty. If anyone has any ideas or able to help me figure this out. I would appreciate the help. Thank you

5 REPLIES

Hello Corey.

1- Make sure the COMM port shows up in device manager of your computer, make sure it's properly installed and working fine.

2- Try different BAUD rates, speeds, this is a old switch, it could be that someone hardcoded the BAUD rate to 128000, 9600 or any other speed... try to play with that.

Regards.

Wilson B.

Purple

Does your usb to serial adaptor show up in device manager and look ok ?

I am not using a USB to connect to the switch, I am using a console cable to connect from my laptop to the switchs console port in the back, and I checked the device manager and everything was up and running with updated software. The switch does work and runs good when connected to my network. I have still been researching and still working on it since I made the first post. *Wilson B* I have tried changing the BAUD rate to see if that would work and got the same message. I haveve tried using serial connection 9600 and 128k on COM1 through COM12 and still have not tried anything. I have even tried teleneting, Raw,Rlogin, and SSH with no luck.  My network control doesn't even show that it's connected to anything when I disable my wireless connection and just hardwire it into the mdoem or switch. Since it's an older cisco switch, I am starting to wonder if putty will even work with the switch, so I am going to try and find another emulator that may work with the switch. If you have any other ideas or an emulator that will work on the older switch I am all ears, and Thank You for you help so far.

Corey.

Something I think can work is to have the 2950 connected to another switch, then access that other switch and check what ip address does it have when you run the "show cdp neighbors"

Once you have that ip address you can try to telnet into it...

If still no good, I would finally suggest to press and hold the mode bottum for over a minute.. to reset it to factory defaults and try again...

other than that ... there's no too much left, most popular terminals are hyper terminal, teraterm, putty, secure crt... but I don't think its an application problem or so...

Only thing I can suggest now is off curse check the getting started guide, maybe maybe... you are missing something... only God knows...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2950/hardware/quick/guide/2950gsg2.html

... And finally I would try another computer...

Regards.

Wilson B.

Re: Cisco System Catalyst 2950

Connecting the switch to another switch and then trying to telenet into the switched didn't work, but I believe that is because something in win 8 is not letting me connect to the switch using putty. I took the switch to my instructor and hook the switch up and using one of the class room computers (win 7) I was able to connect to the switch with no problem. So now I need to figure out what setting I need to change to allow it to work. I am not even sure where to begin to try. I am going to put a ticket in at Microsoft to see if anyone there has any ideas also. Thanks again for all the help and please feel free to keep offering.

Update:

I spend well over an hour on the phone jumping back and forth between customer support people trying to get a straight answer from someone, so I gave up and throught my own trial and errors came up with these conclusions. 1 Putty is not compatibly with Windows 8 and either Putty needs to release a version that is or I need to find an emulator that will work with Windows 8 2 Don't waste my time calling Microsoft Support.

I would also like to thank the two people that gave me ideas and tried to help me get my problem solved which turns out to be either downgrade to Windows 7 or try and find a Termial emulation program that will work with Windows 8. Thank you for you help

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content