Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco WS-C2960S-24TS-S And Routing.....

tomd54321
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have a switch on a remote site that I need to act as a router. The switch is a cisco WS-C2960S-24TS-S

I understand that in order to do this, the switch needs to have the LANbase SDM. This is my current setup:

SW01#sh sdm prefer
 The current template is "default" template.
 The selected template optimizes the resources in
 the switch to support this level of features for
 0 routed interfaces and 255 VLANs.

number of unicast mac addresses:                  8K
  number of IPv4 IGMP groups:                       0.25K
  number of IPv6 multicast groups:                  0.25K
  number of IPv4/MAC qos aces:                      0.375k
  number of IPv4/MAC security aces:                 0.375k
  number of IPv6 policy based routing aces:         0
  number of IPv6 qos aces:                          0
  number of IPv6 security aces:                     0.125k

Using this article as a reference http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/scg_2960/swsdm.html

But in conf t mode, it doesn't recognise the sdm command.

What do I need to do to get the LAN base template loaded?

Do I need to upgrade the ios? If so, do I need to purchase a Smartnet in order to download this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

T

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of   the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You have a "LAN Lite" (the last "-S" suffix) and Cisco documents:

LAN base routing—The lanbase-routing template supports IPv4 unicast routes for configuring static routing SVIs

Note The lanbase-routing template is supported only on switches running Cisco IOS Release 12.2(55)SE or later and the LAN base image.

Cisco Catalyst 2960-S Series Switches are available with the LAN Base and LAN Lite feature sets. LAN Lite models provide reduced functionality and scalability for small deployments with basic requirements.

Note that each switch model is tied to a specific feature level; LAN Lite models cannot be upgraded to the LAN Base feature set.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

brian-andrews51
Level 1
Level 1

What are your routing requirements?

Hi Brian,

I need to route traffic to different subnets from the switch.

Cheers

Reuben Farrelly
Level 3
Level 3

What version of code have you got on the switch now?

Hi Reuben,

Cisco IOS Software, C2960S Software (C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.0(1)SE, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2011 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 20-Jul-11 06:32 by prod_rel_team

ROM: Bootstrap program is Alpha board boot loader
BOOTLDR: C2960S Boot Loader (C2960S-HBOOT-M) Version 12.2(53r)SE, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

System image file is "flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.150-1.SE.bin"

Is that enough? Or do you need anything more? If so, you'll probably have to tell me what commends to use :)

Many thanks

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Not positive but I believe that model 2960 cannot route  and you can't upgrade it to make it route as it is fixed from the factory on model type .   Which is why you don't see the appropriate SDM commands.

The only information I found in the documentation provided by tomd54321 ( http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/scg_2960/swsdm.html ) is that you can enable ip routing but only for static routes. You would be better off getting a layer 3 switch that supports dynamic routing.

Agreed. That is the docs I've been looking at. It certainly says that I can do routing. Static routing is fine with me. My problem is that I don't know where to start!

As a non Cisco head, I need to know my options. Clearly I could just buy a piece of kit that will do what I want. But I need to avoid that if possible.

As far as I can see it, my only other option is buy a Smartnet for this switch and get Cisco to answer the question I've posted on their forum.

Or maybe someone else can steer me in the right direction?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of   the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You have a "LAN Lite" (the last "-S" suffix) and Cisco documents:

LAN base routing—The lanbase-routing template supports IPv4 unicast routes for configuring static routing SVIs

Note The lanbase-routing template is supported only on switches running Cisco IOS Release 12.2(55)SE or later and the LAN base image.

Cisco Catalyst 2960-S Series Switches are available with the LAN Base and LAN Lite feature sets. LAN Lite models provide reduced functionality and scalability for small deployments with basic requirements.

Note that each switch model is tied to a specific feature level; LAN Lite models cannot be upgraded to the LAN Base feature set.

Mr Doherty

Thank you ever so much for your bad news :)

Exactly the information I'm after. Even if I do have to buy a new switch :(

Thanks all for any input.

T

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Regarding purchasing a new L3 switch, you might also look at the SMB 300 and 500 series or you might consider getting a vary small L3 switch (like the EoL 3560-8PC) that you could route with (your existing 2960 would be still use for providing L2 ports).

Brilliant. Thanks Joseph.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: