Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

Cisco WS-C3560X-24P-S core SW

Hello,

I attached our network topology.

I have two Cisco 3560x switches as core switches, and we are planning to install a blade enclosue (currently 6 blade servers) with two 10GbE uplinks from the blade enclosure to the teo core switches by adding a new C3KX-SM-10G= modules to the both core switches and connecting the 10GbE ports as displayed in the diagram.

My question, for now do the Cisco 3560x switches are capable to support our new blade design?

Thanks in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

I can't say where you can "start" but with 15-20 new servers in two years, I'd start considering Nexus 2K, 5K, 6K or 7K.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

I'm with Leo on this one.

The 3560 is neither a data center nor a core switch. You would be much much better served with a Catalyst 4500X VSS cluster or Nexus 5548UP with VPC technology.

If your business is insistent on the 3560X budget, the don't bother with the 10 Gbps interfaces.

7 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

My question, for now do the Cisco 3560x switches are capable to support our new blade design?

Short answer, yes.

Long-term answer, not a chance.  The buffer size of the Catalyst switches are very low.  If your blade enclosures will/can push continuous data, you'll start seeing output drops in each of your TenGigabitEthernet interface.

Bronze

Thank you.

At the first stage, we will have around 30 virtual servers inside the 6 physical blade servers, and during the coming two years we will add around 15-20 new servers.

i mean, during year 2014 can we do this configuration as mentioned above and maybe at the 2015 budget put in our mind to replace with 6500 or nexus switches?

Or, you don't recommend to start with 3560x switches and start with 6500 or nexus?

Thanks again

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I can't say where you can "start" but with 15-20 new servers in two years, I'd start considering Nexus 2K, 5K, 6K or 7K.

Bronze

Re: Cisco WS-C3560X-24P-S core SW

Thanks

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts. 

Hall of Fame Super Silver

I'm with Leo on this one.

The 3560 is neither a data center nor a core switch. You would be much much better served with a Catalyst 4500X VSS cluster or Nexus 5548UP with VPC technology.

If your business is insistent on the 3560X budget, the don't bother with the 10 Gbps interfaces.

Bronze

Re: Cisco WS-C3560X-24P-S core SW

Thank you

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Views
Helpful
Replies