Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WS-C3750-24TS-S stacking cable implementation

Steve Coady
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

There is a stack on the network that has (1) stacking cable that connects stacking port-1 on each device. There is not a second stacking cable currently attached. My understanding is that Stack port-1 on top switch should connect to stack port-2 on the next switch and vice verse.

What problems will i run into by disconnecting the stacking cable from switch 2 stack port-1 and then connecting it to switch 2 stack port-2.

The adding the second cable switch 1 stack port-2 to switch 2 stack port-1?

This is how they currently look

Switch/Stack Mac Address : MAC*                                          

H/W   Current
Switch#  Role   Mac Address     Priority Version  State
----------------------------------------------------------
 1       Member MAC    15     0       Ready               
*2       Master MAC       1      0       Ready

sMc
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you only have two switches in a stack, then it doesn't matter which stacking port the cable goes to.  You can have 1 - 1 & 2 - 2 or 1 - 2 & 2 - 1.  

The important thing is you connect both cables so your stack can run faster.

View solution in original post

It will certainly work with 1 cable but you will only be getting half the bandwidth and 'no stacking redundancy' as such. If the single stack cable were to fail then your switches will end up operating on their own which can cause further problems.

If you issue the command #show switch stack-ring speed, it will probably show the ring is running at 16GB Half. This is NOT half duplex, it just means that its not a full 32GB ring between the stack members.

Get a second stack cable and plug it in, they are not expensive.

I always do.

Port 1 of Switch 1 will go to Port 2 of the VERY LAST switch in the stack. This may be switch 2 if there are only two in the stack. Port 2 of Switch 1 will go to Port 1 of the Next switch down in the stack.

If you have two stack members:

Switch 1 Port 1 - Switch 2 Port 2

Switch 1 Port 2 - Switch 2 Port 1

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you only have two switches in a stack, then it doesn't matter which stacking port the cable goes to.  You can have 1 - 1 & 2 - 2 or 1 - 2 & 2 - 1.  

The important thing is you connect both cables so your stack can run faster.

Leo

Thank you for the reply. That will make things alot easier!

sMc

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts, Steve.  laugh

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Why are you using only one stacking cable?

I believe that by using only a single stacking cable between the switches, you will only get half bandwidth. To get full bandwidth, they need to be configured in a ring.

See the article below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/hardware/installation/guide/3750x_3560x_HIG/HIGINSTL.html

Devils_ad

Thank you for the reply. I am new to this company. Prior tech only added 1 cable?!?

sMc

It will certainly work with 1 cable but you will only be getting half the bandwidth and 'no stacking redundancy' as such. If the single stack cable were to fail then your switches will end up operating on their own which can cause further problems.

If you issue the command #show switch stack-ring speed, it will probably show the ring is running at 16GB Half. This is NOT half duplex, it just means that its not a full 32GB ring between the stack members.

Get a second stack cable and plug it in, they are not expensive.

I always do.

Port 1 of Switch 1 will go to Port 2 of the VERY LAST switch in the stack. This may be switch 2 if there are only two in the stack. Port 2 of Switch 1 will go to Port 1 of the Next switch down in the stack.

If you have two stack members:

Switch 1 Port 1 - Switch 2 Port 2

Switch 1 Port 2 - Switch 2 Port 1

Devils_ad

Thank you for the explanation.

sMc
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card