cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WS-X4548-RJ45V+ module showing as unsupported in 4510R-E chassis with SUP 6-E

Hello All.

I am facing an issue with WS-X4548-RJ45V+  line card in 4510R-E chassis with the following specs

- two sup 6-E running sso redundancy

- ROM version 12.2(44r) SG

- IOS version 15.0(2)SG enterprise services K9 

- Dual Power supplies , 4200VAC each

I checked the minimum software requirement for the module and found that it is 12.2(50). I feel the behavior really strange as I have the latest IOS and a compatible chassis. Please help me to sort this issue out as soon as possible.

Please find the below output

Power consumed by backplane : 40 Watts

Mod Ports Card Type                              Model              
---+-----+--------------------------------------+------------------+
1    48  10/100/1000BaseT Premium POE E Series  WS-X4648-RJ45V+E   
 2    48  10/100/1000BaseT Premium POE E Series  WS-X4648-RJ45V+E   
 3    48  10/100/1000BaseT Premium POE E Series  WS-X4648-RJ45V+E  
 4    48  10/100/1000BaseT Premium POE E Series  WS-X4648-RJ45V+E    
 5     6  Sup 6-E 10GE (X2), 1000BaseX (SFP)     WS-X45-SUP6-E      
 6     6  Sup 6-E 10GE (X2), 1000BaseX (SFP)     WS-X45-SUP6-E      
 7    48  10/100/1000BaseT Premium POE E Series  WS-X4648-RJ45V+E  
 8     0  Unsupported module                     WS-X4548-RJ45V+

Thanks and Regards

Shabeeb

16 Replies 16

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you absolutely correct your chassis is a 4510R-E?  

If it is correct, then this line card is not supported in your chassis.  This line card is only supported in 4503-E, 4506-E, 4507R+E and 4510R+E chassis.

Hi Leo,

Thanks a lot for your time .

The Cisco data sheet says it is compatible. Please find the below link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/catalyst-4500-series-line-cards/product_data_sheet0900aecd802109ea.html

In that link it is clearly written that the classic line cards are supported in 4510R-E chassis with sup 6-E. The document also states that WS-X4548-RJ45V+ is a classic line card. So I feel hard to think this card is not supported.Please check and let me know.

Thanks in advance

Shabeeb

No it doesn't.  The data sheet is being vague (as usual).  

Go HERE.  Scroll down to page 7, look at Table 5.  

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the reply.I believe the customer has another chassis 4510R-E with the same line card working. But that was not implemented by my company. Let me try to get a show module output from that chassis and post it here. 

Shabeeb

Hello Leo, Unfortunately I did not get the output. But customer confirmed me that he has another 4510R-E chassis with the same card working properly. But it seems that IOS in that chassis is 12.2(54)SG. I am really confused now. Anyway I will visit the site tomorrow to check the chassis which the customer told me that the card is working properly. Shabeeb

Remote or console into the said switch of your client and post the complete output to the command "sh module".  

Let's presume that I am wrong (not going to be the first time) ... If I go to the Release Notes for IOS version 15.0(2)SG and scroll down to Table 6 Supported E-Series Hardware, the list is very short but it does NOT mention anything about "WS-X4548-RJ45V+" being supported.

ROM version 12.2(44r) SG

Please note the explicit instructions from Cisco ... 

You must upgrade to at latest ROMMON Release 12.2(44r)SG5 to run Cisco IOS Release 15.0(2)SG on the Supervisor Engine 6-E and Supervisor Engine 6L-E. 12.2(44r)SG9 is recommended.

Hi Leo,

It seems that the card which we have is an E series card and we are trying to install that in slot 8. I believe we cannot install an E-series line card on slots 8,9.10 with supervisor 6-E. Please advise

Shabeeb

Yes you can install the line card in NON-supervisor card slot.  

Hello Leo,

I found a document which says we cannot install an E series line card in slots 8,9,10 with supervisor 6-E. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/catalyst-4500-series-line-cards/product_data_sheet0900aecd802109ea.html

Scroll down till the end of the document and check the first point. The customer wanted to install the module in slots 8,9,10.

[1] Slots 8-10 on 4510R-E and 4510R+E chassis do not support E-Series line cards with Supervisor Engine 6-E. "

Shabeeb

I found a document which says we cannot install an E series line card in slots 8,9,10 with supervisor 6-E. 

This document is CORRECT.  Look at the line card that you are trying to install into your 4510R-E chassis.  Look at the PID (Product ID) or model number.  Does it have an "E" at the end?  No it doesn't.  So this does NOT apply to you.

The line card in question is a "WS-X4548-RJ45V+"  Look at the SECOND digit.  It's a 45XX line card, a "non-E" specific line card.   Look at the existing line cards in the same chassis, they are "WS-X4648-RJ45V+E", 46XX and an "E" type/series line card.  Look at what slots they are in.   This is IRRELEVANT to your issue.  Why?   The supervisor card, Sup6E/LE, has a port limitation of up to 240 ports only.   If you want to use MORE THAN 240 ports, you need to use Sup7E/LE or higher.  

This bit of "minor" information is well hidden in Cisco documentation.  Go HERE and scroll down to Table 3.  

You need a Supervisor Engine 7-E to support more than 240 ports on the Catalyst 4510R-E and Catalyst 4510R+E switch chassis.

I really have no idea what kind of "work around" you can use to stick a 24-/48-port PoE line card into your chassis because the Supervisor card is standing in the way.  The only way I can think of is to upgrade to either a Sup7 or a Sup8.  

Hi Leo, On the line Card It is written "E séries "at the right corner.. first time am seeing a 45xx card written as E series.. Shabeeb Shabeeb

Same thing.  E or no E, Sup6E/LE has a hard-limit of 240 ports.  This means 5 line cards of 48 ports (per line card).  This is what you have now.  A 6th line card won't work. 

If your boss still doesn't believe me, raise a TAC Case.  

Hello Leo,

Please find the attached image for the card. In that one it is written the card is an E series at the right corner. Sorry Leo for continuously asking questions. I am totally confused with this Cisco documents.

Shabeeb

This is a futile attempt what you and/or your boss are trying to do.  Let me explain: 

1.  The line card is identified as a WS-X4548-RJ45V+.  It DOES NOT and WILL NOT say it is a "WS-X4548-RJ45V+E".  You know why not?  Because THERE IS NO SUCH MODEL as a "WS-X4548-RJ45V+E".  The 45XX line card does NOT come in an "E" model.   So you CANNOT install the line card into slots 8, 9 and 10 (because the line card is a CLASSIC line card).

2.  Next, you CANNOT use a WS-X4548-RJ45V+ line card on a 4510R-E chassis.  It is INCOMPATIBLE.  

3.  Let's say I'm wrong and you have an "E" model of a "WS-X4548-RJ45V+".   You still will NOT be able to use it in your existing chassis.  Why?  Because current line card populations, where you have FIVE (5) 48-port line cards already, has hit the limit of your Sup6E/LE of 240-ports per chassis.   As I've said in two previous responses (this will be the third response of the same thing), Sup6E/LE has a hard-coded limitation of 240 ports per chassis.  And you've hit it.  The Sup6E/LE was NEVER meant to "live" in a chassis larger than a 4507.    And why NOT?  Because there is a "hidden" documentation that the Sup6E/LE line card has a limit of 240-ports.  This means that if you stick this line card into a fully-populated 4510 chassis, slots 8, 9 and 10 CANNOT be used, classic line card or not.  

The "E" marking on the right-hand side of the line card means that the line card CAN BE supported in any "-E" or "+E" chassis.  It's got nothing to do with the category of line card.   The most important  (technical) marking of this line card is the one on the left-hand side, the exact model number.  This is what every network engineer wants to see.  The right-hand marking is an addition meant to confused people.  

Present the following options to your boss: 

1.  Do nothing; or

2.  Upgrade your line card to Sup7/Sup8 and you can get slots 8, 9 and 10 functional (and increase the port count per chassis from 240 ports to 384 ports); or

3.  Get another chassis.

I'm sorry to be brutally honest here.  Someone will need to confess up to your boss the following items: 

1. Someone has purchased the WRONG LINE CARD.
  2. Your current supervisor card, Sup6E/LE, has a hard-set limit of 240 ports (deal with it & move on).

We can all debate on what is written on the card, the conflicting information/data found in Cisco documentation, the colour of the sky, or the sum of "1+1=21".  At the end of the day, the simple facts won't change.   

I encourage you to get a "second-opinion" by raising a Cisco TAC Case out of this thread.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card