Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Class-based shaping on Cat4500?

Hi,

The company that hired me has bought cat4500's (4506 w SUP5). One of the things they want to do on them is VLAN bandwidth rate limiting on 1Gbit trunk links. The idea was to use class-based shaping.

The job is currently done by policing on 3550's. Classes were defined there by "match vlan" statements in class-maps.

We now found out two things on the 4500:

1. The "match vlan" statement is not available. Using ACL's to define classes is not really an alternative in our case.

2. The "shape {peak|average}" statement is not available in policy-map configuration. We were surprised by that, because the CCO feature navigator lists Class-based shaping as a feature of the hardware/IOS combination that is used ( CAT4500-SUP5/IOS12.2(31)SGA2). Only policing is supported

Any suggestions or alternatives?

Thanks

Jan

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: Class-based shaping on Cat4500?

I think the command match vlan vvlan-id will work on cat 3560 series onward.When you try to configure hierarchical service policies (i.e. service policy within a service policy), there is no option to create separate classes for the top level service policy.This means that only the "class-default" class gets created by QPM.

The following URL will give you the Class-Based Shaping configure

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800bd8f0.html#wp1003845

Views
Helpful
Replies