cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Clearing config on 2900 switch without power

s.whittington
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone please tell me how to clear the IOS on a switch with no power.Don't want to RMA with config we have on switch.

Thanks

Whitt

8 Replies 8

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Whitt,

I'm afraid you need to 'power-up' the switch to clear the config. You don't have any electrical outlet and plug available ?

What if he has a dead PS?

s.whittington
Level 1
Level 1

Took a good power module from perfect 2970 switch and replaced it in bad 2970. Still couldn't get it to boot up. Anybody with some good advice. We will not ship until this config is off switch.

Whitt

I've never had the cover off of one of these switches. Is the flash memory built onto the board or is it removable? If it's removable you can put it in a good switch, erase the flash, then put it back into the bad switch.

If it's built in, I don't know what to tell you.

s.whittington
Level 1
Level 1

Flash memory is built into motherboard. We have never ran into this problem before. When we have a red switch we can not ship to Cisco with config on it.

Hi,

I think you sould contact TAC and ask this question. and see what they say

Alternatively you may want to damage the on-board flash so it cannot be read.

But i personally will not be too concerned as i don't think anyone will be looking into this deep in Cisco while all C2900s are being disposed off anyway.

Regards

Shahem

Shahem,

I did call TAC on Thursday and they said I could damage the onboard memory.

Thanks, For everyones help

S. Whitt

A magnet should destry all data on it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card