Helpful
Replies

Clock timezone

dennisv99
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I want to use a c4507 as a NTP master.

I found out that my predecessor network administrator (who left the company) had set the timezone to UTC and also the summer-time timezone to UTC instead of CET and CEST which would be correct.

Is there any way he would have done this because of known problems or bugs when not using UTC as local timezone?

The offset from UTC was configured correctly (+1 hour from UTC) which gives me the idea that the configuration of the UTC timezone was done by design and isn't the default setting.

thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Dennis,

>> Is there any way he would have done this because of known problems or bugs when not using UTC as local timezone?

if all your network devices are within a single timezone you can use that zone if the company network is worlwide choicing UTC everywhere can be a possible solution.

We have branch offices in different countries and we use the local time in each of them.

I don't think there can be any difference in NTP features and functionalities when using UTC or another timezone: it is only a question of offsets.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

The 'zone' parameter is just a cosmetic parameter. You can place antything you want there. The offset is the most important.

From the cisco site:

clock timezone zone hours-offset [minutes-offset]

zone

Name of the time zone to be displayed when standard time is in effect. The length of the zone argument is limited to 7 characters.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card