cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Collapsed backbone switch config?

Sherwin Clarke
Level 1
Level 1

Can I attached the switches as shown in the attachment, i.e. regular switch ports (gigabit ports) on the Catalyst 2960 to one of the uplinks on each of the three Catalyst Express 500 switches?

3 Replies 3

kwillacey
Level 3
Level 3

Yes that should work fine as long as the uplinks on the CE500s do not require SFPs in which case you would need one of those SFPs that can take an RJ45. Not sure if they are supported on the CE500s though.

The CE500 switches I intend to use would not have SFPs on the uplinks.

Therefore with this connectivity, I should be able to establish gigabit connection between switches I assume.

As Kelvin describes (and without my looking at the specs of the devices), that should work. Usually, the only things special about "uplink" ports are they often might ofter more bandwidth than other ports, they might offer for Ethernet the option to use a straight thru cable vs. cross over. They sometimes offer additional software features not found on other ports.

Your configuration is sometimes known as a "star" configuration, and it's often the preferred configuration.

PS:

Some variations would be to use the second uplink port on the leaf switches with to another top switch which connects to the top switch (avoids failure of the one top switch stopping your whole network), or using both uplink ports to the same top switch in some kind of Etherchannel configuration (if supported on both switches).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card