Views
Helpful
Replies

Command Conversion tool from CatOS to IOS

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I am unabel to find the Command conversion tool from CatOS to IOS on a 6509 CAT base switch.Kindly help

regards

Neo

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
10 Replies 10

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Neo,

Here you go

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/CatCfgConversion/catcfg_xlat.pl

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate helpfull post

you can find the tool at below URL.

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/CatCfgConversion/catcfg_xlat.pl

rate if it helps ...

Hi all ,

i have used that link to convert commands from CatOS to IOS but then there are certain commands which are not being converted to IOS .I know that rest of these commands i have to convert manually but then how can i find out whats the equivalent IOS command of a particular CatOS

command.

regards

Neo

Hi,

That's also the only link I found searching on Cisco website BUT this link is now broken. There are plenty of cisco technical docs pointing to this broken link.

So, I'm desperatly looking for this Conversion Tool without being able to find it.

Does anyone know where to find it ?

Also, the only conversion procedure I could find is from Hybrid (ie: SUP runing CatOS and MSFC running IOS) to Native. But what I want to do is converting my switch running CatOS (without MSFC running on it - it's a simple L2 switch) to IOS.

Not being able to find any technical doc for that, I guess that it doesn't require any particular procedure apart from:

1. Upload the IOS binary on the switch flash

2. Convert CatOS config file to IOS one

2. Change bootvar's

4. Reload

Any other suggestions or document ?

Many Thanks

Arno

Hi Arno,

You cannot convert from Hybrid mode to Native mode without having MSFC dauther card on sup engine.

HTH

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

Thanks for your answer. That's exactly what I said, maybe I wasn't clear enough, I'm not wiling to convert from Hybrid to Native because my switch is NOT a hybrid one (I just have a supervisor engine but NO MSFC).

Are you saying that it's not supported to convert a supervisor card running CatOS to IOS ?

Thanks, Regards,

Arno

Hi Arno,

Yes that is not possible. You cannon convert CATOS to IOS if you just have sup engine. You need to have MSFC onboard to perform CATOS to IOS.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Thank you very much Ankur for shedding some light on this ! That's much clearer now.

That probably explains why I couldn't find any technical documentation on Cisco's site on how to perform this upgrade.

One last thing: is there any white paper officially stating that this operation is NOT possible (that would be helpful as a justification for my management).

Thanks and Regards,

Arno

Hi Arno,

Have a look at this paragraph from one of the whitepapers

"Cisco IOS Software for the Supervisor Engine on the Catalyst 6500 Series provides a single Cisco IOS image, configuration, and command line to support all Layer 2, 3, and 4 functionality on the switch. Cisco IOS has historically been a Layer 3 operating system on routing platforms, and when installed on the Supervisor Engine of a Catalyst 6500 has expanded these capabilities to include true Layer 2 functionality as well. Cisco IOS requires an MSFC daughter card be present on the Supervisor Engine"

Read the last line in this paragraph which says "Cisco IOS requires an MSFC daughter card be present on the Supervisor Engine"

Have a look at this whitepaper

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper09186a00800c8441.shtml

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Thank you very much.

The paragraph you've outlined makes all sense in understanding WHY an MSFC daughter card is actually required.

Regards,

Arno

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card