Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Command-output "show spanning-tree uplinkfast"

I have a question regarding the "show spanning-tree uplinkfast" command.

I know what uplinkfast does and how but I couldn't find documentation for the show-command.

A couple of switches in our network have an output like this one:

Command :show spanning-tree uplinkfast | i Number of

===============

Number of transitions via uplinkFast (all VLANs) : 51

Number of proxy multicast addresses transmitted (all VLANs) : 10920

If the transitions/multicasts are greater then 0, the backup-link must have been activated respectively the uplink must have been inactive, right?

This is what worries me, because I see many switches with counters > 0, and I normally wouldn't expect this in a stable network.

• LAN Switching and Routing
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Command-output "show spanning-tree uplinkfast"

Hi Rolf,

An uplinkfast transition happens as a result of a configuration of the network (parameter change, link added/removed, switch reloaded etc...) or a failure (loss of bpdus, link going down etc...).

So if your sporadic uplinkfast transitions occur as a result of sporadic configuration events, I would not worry about them.

However, if you experience sporadic uplinkfast transitions while being sure that there is no configuration event, I would try to investigate their source.

Regards,

Francois

3 REPLIES

The most important is how those figures are evolving I guess.

If you have 51 vlans, it could be a single transition. If the alternate port(s) came up before the current root port, there might have been an uplinkfast transition without any failure. And this transition might have occurred 1 year ago;-) In that case you should not be worried.

On the other hand, you can have a single vlan that had its root port flapping 51 times in the last hour. In which case you might have indeed something going on.

It's impossible to make a difference between those two cases with just one snapshot.

Regards,

Francois

Francois,

thanks for the answer - this is an interesting point! We actually have nearly 50 VLANs and when I include all the default VLANs, it could be 51.

The reason why I'm monitoring things like that is that we sporadically see "Hostflapping" syslog messages and the MAC-Adress is always flapping between the uplink-port and a local access-port. First I couldn't understand how this can happen but now I'm convinced that it's related to this Uplinkfast swichovers.

And as long as this happens only sporadically I really don't have to worry, do I?

Hi Rolf,

An uplinkfast transition happens as a result of a configuration of the network (parameter change, link added/removed, switch reloaded etc...) or a failure (loss of bpdus, link going down etc...).

So if your sporadic uplinkfast transitions occur as a result of sporadic configuration events, I would not worry about them.

However, if you experience sporadic uplinkfast transitions while being sure that there is no configuration event, I would try to investigate their source.

Regards,

Francois

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.