Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Command to find out for how long a Switch has been the STP Root

Hi, Is there a command which could tell for how long a particular switch has been the STP root ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Actually the only thing I could think of, is it you have PVST+ or RPVST+ the Root Switch should be the one who has the most BPDUs sent. If you go to your root switch, and do a 'show span int x/x' you could see how many times BPDUs have been send and multiple them by 2 seconds and then do the math. THat's about the only thing I can think of, that might not 100% accurate and I honestly don't know if the BPDUs reach a certain level go back to 0 and then start up again.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

I don't think you can. All the commands such as 'show span vlan x' 'show span brief' 'show span summary' do not have a timestamp or anything like that.

Actually the only thing I could think of, is it you have PVST+ or RPVST+ the Root Switch should be the one who has the most BPDUs sent. If you go to your root switch, and do a 'show span int x/x' you could see how many times BPDUs have been send and multiple them by 2 seconds and then do the math. THat's about the only thing I can think of, that might not 100% accurate and I honestly don't know if the BPDUs reach a certain level go back to 0 and then start up again.

Thanks John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: