I could not use GNS3 to perform the following setup:

h1--------f1/1-sw--f1/2--------h2

Sw1 has only vlan2.  Sw f1/2 is in vlan2

switch( config) int f1/2

switch( config-if) switchport access vlan 2

Next we create secondary vlan 3

switch( con) vlan 3

switch (congfig-vlan) private -valn secondary

Next we declare vlan 2 as primary and associate secondary vlan 3 with primary vlan 2

switch( config) vlan 2

switch( config-vlan )private-vlan primary

switch(config-vlan) private-vlan association 3.

Next we configure the port f1/1:

switch(config) int f1/1

switch(config-if) switchport private-vlan  host

switch(config-if) switchport private-vlan host-association 2  3

My question is :  Will h1 be able to h2 just considering the above config while keeping in mind h1 is secondary vlan 3 while h2 is vlan2 primary vlan ?

================================================

What if we replace  secondary vlan 3 above by isolated vlan 3, will h1 be able top ping h2 ?

thanks and have a great week.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sarah,

What if we replace  secondary vlan 3 above by isolated vlan 3, will h1 be able top ping h2 ?

If you pur each port where each host in connected in isolated mode, than the hosts will not be able to communicated with each other.  The ports in isolated mode can communicate with ports in promiscuous mode but not with each other.

HTH

View solution in original post

Hi Sarah,

Yes, since the router interface is a promiscuos mode, h1 can communicate with the router. This is actually the way it should be designed, if not hosts will not be able to communicate with the router.

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sarah,

If you pur each port where each host in connected in isolated mode, than the hosts will not be able to communicated with each other.  The ports in isolated mode can communicate with ports in promiscuous mode but not with each other.

HTH

Thanks Reza

Can regular port i.e port not belonging to any secondary vlan communicate with promiscuous port ? Let me illustrate that:

h1------f1/1SW---f1/2--------Router

Sw(config) int f1/1

sw( config-if) iswitchport access vlan 2

Sw f1/2 port  is in promiscuos mode

The primary vlan is vlan 2

Will h1 be able to communicate with Router?  ( Please keep in mind, h1 is just connected to regular vlan2 not to any secondary vlan)

thanks

Hi Sarah,

Yes, since the router interface is a promiscuos mode, h1 can communicate with the router. This is actually the way it should be designed, if not hosts will not be able to communicate with the router.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card