Helpful
Replies

compatibility

snuggleez2005
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all!

I need some input here please!

I spoke to two different sources. Both say that I can connect the Cisco Catalyst 3560 with a Dell Power Connect 3448P. Both are PoE. One source, a Cisco Sales Engineer says to use the CAB-SFP-50CM which is the Cisco SFP Interconnect Cable. I have read in some posts on here that this SFP Interconnect Cable only works Cat3560 to Cat3560. The other source, Dell rep says that you can connect using crossover.

~Sami~

update: I received am email back from the Cisco Sales Engineer that I was correct when I pointed out that the SFP Interconnect is for 3560 to 3560 only. He now is telling me that I need these items:

GLC-SX-MM - Cisco 1000 BaseSX SFP - LC Connector

BP-LCLC-MM-1M - Mulitmode Fiber Patch Cable - 1 meter

X3369 - Dell 1000Base-SX PowerConnect SFP - LC Connector

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scheikhnajib
Level 1
Level 1

Mate,

I think you can use any non-Cisco proprietry or non-Dell proprietry cables for this. I would recommend a X-over UTP cable (make sure the PoE is disabled if it's not set to auto-detect) or a 1000Base-SX link using a Multimode fibre with the appropriate GBIC's on both ends.

I think it's simple and the Cisco guy is complicating it but the products that he listed looks correct to me.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

scheikhnajib
Level 1
Level 1

Mate,

I think you can use any non-Cisco proprietry or non-Dell proprietry cables for this. I would recommend a X-over UTP cable (make sure the PoE is disabled if it's not set to auto-detect) or a 1000Base-SX link using a Multimode fibre with the appropriate GBIC's on both ends.

I think it's simple and the Cisco guy is complicating it but the products that he listed looks correct to me.

Cheers.

Hi!

Thanks for your response! I went ahead and bought the SFP connectors for both the dell and the cisco and the multimode fibre cable. The SFP for the cisco is taking a bit longer to get here. When it arrives, I will try it out and see what happens. Our system uses the PoE for our IP Phones.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card