cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

config change strategy suggestions

Tod Larson
Level 3
Level 3

What is the best way to deploy new configs to Cisco routers and switches?

I have a bunch of config changes I need to deploy to lots of switches. I could manually go to each devices during the maintenance window and cut and paste the changes, but I'd like to try something a little more better.

I'm thinking I'd like to preload config files somewhere, then during the maintenance window simply reload each device, then verify the results.

What are your suggestions? Thank you.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You really only have a couple options . One is to have a management program like Ciscoworks, Solarwinds or Voyence to make the mass changes or have someone that is really good at scripting to write a program to do it .

View solution in original post

Oleksandr Nesterov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ron,

If you want to pull set of changes into your Cisco devices there are two options:

either use proprietary solutions that will guarantee that changes will be consistent (solarwinds, ciscoworks, dcnm);

or use bash(expect)/perl scripting with csv/git config backup (for ex. rancid) and tftp for new config upload. 

HTH,

Alex

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You really only have a couple options . One is to have a management program like Ciscoworks, Solarwinds or Voyence to make the mass changes or have someone that is really good at scripting to write a program to do it .

ebarticel
Level 4
Level 4

Why not use a tftp server?

Set the boot variable to get the config from tftp and when reload the switch.

Hope this helps

Eugen

I like the idea of using a tftp server.  Do you have any documentation to teach me about that? 

However, I think i'll temporarily loose connectivity to the tftp server during these config changes. That's why having the new configs staged locally on flash seems to make some sense.

Oleksandr Nesterov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ron,

If you want to pull set of changes into your Cisco devices there are two options:

either use proprietary solutions that will guarantee that changes will be consistent (solarwinds, ciscoworks, dcnm);

or use bash(expect)/perl scripting with csv/git config backup (for ex. rancid) and tftp for new config upload. 

HTH,

Alex

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card