cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Config files renamed

r-vaughan
Level 1
Level 1

We have this old WS-C2950T on our network that had all the flash: configuration files re-named. config.text, private-config.text, and vlan.dat, all had ".renamed" appended to the end of the file names. Has anyone seen this, and do you know what could have done it? (other than someone manually changing the names?) Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is part of the express setup. If the mode button gets pushed and held for a few seconds, then the files are renamed and the switch reboots to default. I've seen patch cables push against the mode button and this occur. Just rename the files and reload.

http://supportwiki.cisco.com/ViewWiki/index.php/Catalyst_3550_switch_reloads_and_gives_the_%22EXPRESS_SETUP-6-CONFIG_IS_RESET%22_error_message_when_the_mode_button_is_pressed_for_a_longer_time_during_a_password_recovery

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

jbrenesj
Level 3
Level 3

Are normal files present and also the "renamed" files? Or only the renamed

I have never seen the vlan.dat changing its name because of any feature/process done by/to the switch

The config files could be modified by external apps like snmp or cna, it sometimes happens but I doubt the vlan database will be renamed ever

Only the ".renamed" files were present, no other config.text file was there. I suspect someone went in and renamed them, but no one will admit to it.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nope. Files being renamed has to be done manually. Check your RADIUS or AAA server for any hints base on the time and date of the files.

This is part of the express setup. If the mode button gets pushed and held for a few seconds, then the files are renamed and the switch reboots to default. I've seen patch cables push against the mode button and this occur. Just rename the files and reload.

http://supportwiki.cisco.com/ViewWiki/index.php/Catalyst_3550_switch_reloads_and_gives_the_%22EXPRESS_SETUP-6-CONFIG_IS_RESET%22_error_message_when_the_mode_button_is_pressed_for_a_longer_time_during_a_password_recovery

Darren,

Now this is a thing... I must admit I never heard of this before but surely I will test it in the lab. Thanks you!

Best regards,

Peter

I learn something all the time at a ridiculous hour that I cant sleep, good stuff.

You can disable this feature with the following command:

no setup express

As far as I know all switches with a mode button has this feature, and enabled by default.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card