Helpful
Replies

Config-Register 0x2102 problem

vwolgel12
Level 1
Level 1

Have 2948G L3  running cat2949g-in-mz.120-25.W5.27b.bin

config register = 0x2102

I enter some config statements, then save via wr mem or copy runnng-config startup-config, then reload router...the config recovers.

But If I manually power cycle the router, I lose the config and I'm back at the System Config Dialog.  the show ver says:

Configuration register is 0x101 (will be 0x0 at next reload)

I also noticed that when I do the soft reload i get the "valid  NVRAM config" message but when I manually power cycle the router I get the "invalid NVRAM config" message. I've changed the config to 0x2142  reloaded and then  to 0x2102  and did a wr mem and then a reload but still running in to the same problem.  I have a 2nd 2948GL3 at config-register 0x2102 that has no issues at all. Any suggestions are welcome.

1 Reply 1

David Aicher
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

config-register is a unique config command.  It actually does not require a write mem to take effect.  The config-register is a persistent rommon variable and is used to determine the boot sequence.  It should not change on power cycle or reload.  If this variable is changing on power cycle then I would suspect that something  is wrong with nvram or the storage area defined to hold rommon variables.   You probably will need to RMA the device.

Regards

David Aicher

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: