Views
Helpful
Replies

Config Restoration

Sureshdank
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

How can I upload the config into a network device like switch or router when I have only Console access to the device.

If I am able to upload the config, how to bring that config into workng.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Suresh Jain

8 Replies 8

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Suresh,

Only console means you dont have any ethernet connectivity ? please clear that

Normally,There are two ways:

1. Using the TFTP,FTP and RCP.

2. Copy and paste the config while you are in config terminal.

Please use the link below for more refrence. Its same for both switches and the router.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3560/12225see/scg/swiosfs.htm#wp1063563

HTH,

-amit singh

Suresh,

If you do not have ethernet connectivity, you have only choice to paste the config on the terminal.

Since this will be copied on to the running configurtion, it will be your working configuration

Narayan

Amit,

I dont have an ethernet connectivity. I can only connect through consol and I have taken the backup through tftp server by issuing this command,

copy running-config tftp

Thats why I cannot copy paste the configuration.

Regards,

Suresh Jain

Hi Suresh,

you can upload config only copy and paste the config through console.

what you need to do is, right click on the file which has got the config and click on Open with.

in open with dialog box, select "Microsoft Excel for Windows" and then OK.

this will open the config file in excel and you can copy config from there and paste it on the hyperterminal.

once done, save the config in startup config.

copy run start

rate if it helps or let me know if you have any questions ...

Hi Suresh,

Even if you have taken the back up via tftp server you can go to the root directory of tftp server copy the full file on machine where you have console connection.

Open that file with notepad and copy and paste the full configurayiot via console.

I also remember long time back I sent the config.text file via hyperterminal also but not very sure.

Regards,

Ankur

Any other possible way.

Nops

Must be missing something , you were able to back it up to a tftp server but you don't have ethernet connectivity? How did you back it up then to the tftp server ? Even if you only have console access you should be able to see the addresses and telnet into the box . Someone must know what the passwords are for telnet , could be just the console password . Where is the tftp server ? Is it a remote box or are you useing your own pc as the server? If you have console access and you can get into the box you should just be able to do a "config net" and this will load the backup into running-config from the tftp server. If you need a good free tftp server solarwinds has a nice one that works well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card