Views
Helpful
Replies

Config Transfer

Thomas Yarger
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I need to transfer a config from a TFTP Server to a 4507 and a 6513. When I transfer the config to both those switches, does it require a reboot? Lastly, what is the command set to do so? Thanks

5 Replies 5

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Thomas,

No reboot required but you need to issue 'write mem' to save the running config. Check the below link on how to restore configuration from tftp server. Make you can ping the tftp server from switch.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_tech_note09186a008020260d.shtml

hth

MS

Crypt0
Level 1
Level 1

Well that depends, if you have an existing config in your switch/router we mem may not work. It's better to do copy start run to push the downloaded config

The 4507 and 6513 currently have a config on them. Once I transfer the config to them, I execute a copy start run?

A. Console into device just in case

B. Bak up existing sh run to notepad or log file

C. Rename your existing config in the device to .old 'config.old'

D. Download the new config from tftp

E. copy start run

P.s: if you simply do we mem it'll overwrite your start up with running & you don't want that.

Hope that helps.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

One last question, If I dont rename the existing config, will the transfer overwrite it? I then perform a copy start run. I should still be good? Correct?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco